Are you wondering how you can get an AT&T Wireless free government phone? It all depends on if you’re enrolled in the Lifeline Program offered by the Federal Government. AT&T Wireless is one of the largest telecommunication companies participating in the Lifeline Program.
Through the AT&T Wireless lifeline program, thousands of low-income individuals are able to receive discounted phone and internet services. However, to enjoy these benefits, you have to meet the qualification criteria set by the Federal Communication Commission.
This article will expound on AT&T Wireless Lifeline Program, applying for a free device, the qualification criteria, and the types of phones offered. So, please continue reading!
- Does AT&T Offer Free Government Phones
- How Does the AT&T Work with Lifeline Program
- How to Qualify for an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
- Which Documents Need to Get an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
- How To Get an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
- The 5 Best AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
- How to Activate Your AT&T Wireless Government Phone
- Related Topics
- Frequently Asked Questions
Does AT&T Offer Free Government Phones
AT&T Wireless does not provide any free government phones to its customers. However, they have enticing deals that offer huge discounts on top-of-range cell phones. Some deals allow you to take the phone with no upfront fee to settle the payment monthly over a longer duration.
In addition, the AT&T Wireless Lifeline Program offered can enable thousands of low-income households to access cell phone services and internet at budget-friendly rates.
How Does the AT&T Work with Lifeline Program
As mentioned above, the AT&T Wireless lifeline program was initiated to make wireless services (phone and internet) cheaper for people from strained financial backgrounds.
If you meet the qualification guidelines of the AT&T Wireless Lifeline program, you can have a $5.25 discount off your monthly phone bill or a $9.25 discount off your monthly internet bill.
Customers who qualify by participating in tribal programs can have a $25 discount on their monthly telephone bill. Note that only one household member can apply for an AT&T Wireless free government phone. You also cannot enjoy the phone and internet discounts at ago.
Will participating in the AT&T Lifeline program help you get AT&T Wireless free government phone? No, but it will help you access plans that will allow you to get a good phone for free and pay in smaller monthly installments.
How to Qualify for an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
To qualify for an AT&T Wireless free government phone, you have to be eligible and participate in the AT&T Lifeline Program. What are some of the AT&T lifeline program qualification guidelines? Here they are:
Qualification Based on Income
The Federal Communication Commission has set guidelines that can be used to determine if someone qualifies for Lifeline assistance or not. To be eligible, the FCC states that your annual income should not be more than 135% of the poverty threshold.
This threshold slightly differs for each state and is updated each year. If you qualified for Lifeline in a previous year, you would still have to confirm to see if you’re within the threshold set for the current year.
Qualification based on Government Programs
The second way you can be eligible for the AT&T Wireless lifeline program is to actively participate in a Federal Government assistance program. Participation in these programs is proof that you don’t have the financial capabilities to purchase a high-end device. Some of them include:
- The Federal Public Housing Assistance program/FPHA
- The Supplemental Security Income program/SSI
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal Head Start
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/TANF
- Federal Pell Grant
- Food Distribution programs on Indian Reservation/FDPIR
Additional Qualification Guidelines
Some other qualification guidelines that you need to meet before you’re enrolled in the AT&T Wireless lifeline program include:
- You are required to live in a place where AT&T wireless offers the Lifeline program. You can visit AT&T lifeline page to find out if AT&T Wireless offers lifeline services in your area.
- No member of your household, including you, should be enrolled in a Lifeline program offered by AT&T or any other wireless service provider; otherwise, you will be disqualified.
- You have to be an active member of the AT&T Wireless service and enroll in one of their plans.
- Finally, you have to renew your Lifeline discount each year to enjoy the benefits of the AT&T Lifeline program.
Which Documents Need to Get an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
If you’re applying for an AT&T Wireless free government phone through the Lifeline program, you are required to have the documents below as proof of your eligibility:
Documents That Show Your Income
The only way that AT&T can prove that your earnings are insufficient to buy an advanced phone is if you present any of the documents below:
- Pay stubs for three consecutive months
- Tax return for the state you reside in
- Bank statements
- Pension distribution statement
- Unemployment benefits statement
Documents That Show Your Identity
These are needed to prove that you are the only one benefitting from the Lifeline program and may include:
- State-issued Identity Card
- Certificate of birth
- Driving license
Documents That Show Your Enrollment in a Government Assistance Program
Some of the main ones are:
- A financial aid award letter
- Medicaid Letter
- A Verification letter for the Federal Public Housing Assistance program
- A general letter to show you’re receiving aid from the Bureau of Indian Affairs
- A Social Security benefit verification letter
- Tribal Head Start enrollment letter
- TANF organization statement
How To Get an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
Applying for an AT&T Wireless free government phone is not complicated if you meet all the eligibility criteria. There are different ways to do so depending on the state that you reside in. For example:
- Residents of Texas can contact AT&T through their number: 866.454.8387. You can also fill out their online application form.
- California residents can contact an AT&T Wireless representative at 800.288.2020, and you will be directed accordingly.
- Oregon residents can contact 855.761.7994 for help on how to apply for the AT&T Wireless free government phone.
- If you don’t live in these areas, you can send your application to the national verifier portal.
The 5 Best AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
Most of the AT&T Wireless free government phones are standard models that are not preferred. However, if you’re an AT&T consumer, you can get huge discounts on the phones below:
1) iPhone 8, 64GB
Apple usually manufactures phones that outperform its competitors, and the iPhone 8 is a perfect example.
- This phone has an iOS 11 that is easily upgradable to iOS 13 to run the phone without any glitches.
- iPhone 8 is known for its Hexa-core CPU and apple GPU, which helps people play games on their phones without hanging.
- The screen size is only 4.7 inches with a retina IPS LCD. It is protected by an ion strengthened glass and an oleophobic coating.
- Although the iPhone 8 has no microSD slots, its 64GB internal storage is enough to store all your important files. This is in addition to the 2GB RAM that it already possesses.
- There are two cameras on the phone, one on the rear end and one on the front. If you want to capture marvelous photos of your surroundings, you can use the rear one with a 12MP resolution, but if you want to take selfies, the front one with a 7MP resolution will work just fine.
- A fingerprint sensor is available at the front for you to lock and unlock your phone for extra security.
- For powering the phone throughout the day, you have a Li-ion 1821 mAh battery that is non-detachable.
2) Samsung Galaxy Note 8
AT&T Wireless offers this phone which is compatible with GSM networks. Some of its outstanding features are mentioned below.
- The Galaxy Note 8 has a 6.3-inch display protected by gorilla glass 5. Its resolution is 1440 by 2960 pixels. With this display, you won’t strain your eyes while watching videos on YouTube or any other platform.
- This phone runs on Android 7.1.1, which you can upgrade to Android 9.0. Even when browsing heavily, your phone will continue to run seamlessly.
- Samsung galaxy note 8 has a dual camera with a resolution of 12 MP that can take high-definition photos. Additionally, it has an 8 MP Selfie camera.
- When it comes to security, this phone tops our list. It has a fingerprint sensor mounted on the rear end and an iris scanner.
- Battery size is not an issue as its 3300 mAh Li-ion battery can last you a whole day.
3) LG G6 H8 71
Its name might be long and complicated, but its wide range of features covers that. Below are some of its capabilities.
- This phone is operated using the Android 7.0 operating system. But if you still don’t like how it functions, you can upgrade the operating system further to Android 9.0.
- It has an internal storage capacity of 32 GB. A memory card slot has also been availed if you feel like the internal storage will not suffice.
- A Qualcomm MSM 8996 Snapdragon 821 chipset has been placed to compliment the 4GB RAM to eliminate lag.
- You will never complain of a bad photo or video due to the dual back camera with resolutions of 13 MP. For selfies, you can use the 5MP front camera.
- Like the previous phone on our list, the LG G6 has a 3300 mAh battery which can last more than a whole day on a full charge.
4) Alcatel OneTouch Ideal
The Alcatel OneTouch is a good AT&T Wireless free government phone for people with low yearly earnings. AT&T offers it to you when it is already unlocked.
- The Operating system is an Android 4.1. For a basic phone, this will do the trick. Upgrading to a more recent Android version is also possible.
- Its internal storage is only 8GB, but you can supplement it with an external memory card.
- The Alcatel OneTouch has the lowest RAM of all the phones on our list; 1 GB. However, it can still carry out the basic functions efficiently.
- There is an 1800 mAh battery for powering the phone while you carry out your daily operations.
5) LG K8 Phoenix 2 K371
LG is one of the leading brands in producing top-of-the-range devices. While this phone is a bit outdated, it still has many impressive features.
- There is an Android 7.1.2 operating system that functions smoothly for a basic phone. Additionally, you have Qualcomm MSM8909 Snapdragon 210 chipset with a quad-core CPU to ensure that you can browse and watch without interruptions.
- The LG K8 has a 16GB ROM and a 2GB RAM for storing your files.
- An 8MP back camera and 5MP selfie camera facilitate for creation of videos professionally.
- It comes with a 2125 mAh Li-ion battery, which keeps the phone on even when you have been browsing for a long time.
How to Activate Your AT&T Wireless Government Phone
The first thing you should do is confirm if the AT&T phone you have received has been activated. You can do this by putting in a compatible SIM card into the phone, and turning it on. Attempt to call, text or access the internet using mobile data.
If the process is successful, then your phone is already activated if not you can use the guide below:
- Search for AT&T activation procedure from their website.
- Pick the “Activate your phone” option.
- Enter any information that they require from you
- Do what you’re instructed to activate the phone.
If you can’t successfully complete the activation procedure, you can visit any of their physical stores that is near you and their customer service will assist you. Alternatively, you can contact them through their website.
Getting an AT&T Wireless free government phone is a step in the right direction if you want to communicate efficiently but don’t have the resources to purchase a good device. This is because AT&T Wireless is one of the service providers with the largest network coverage in the country.
As mentioned above, applying for a phone from them is easy, and they offer you a variety of phones to choose from. Try your luck today!
- How to Get a Cricket Wireless Free Government Phone
- Verizon Wireless Free Government Phone
- Cintex Wireless Free Government Phone