Are you wondering how you can get an AT&T Wireless free government phone? It all depends on if you’re enrolled in the Lifeline Program offered by the Federal Government. AT&T Wireless is one of the largest telecommunication companies participating in the Lifeline Program.
Through the AT&T Wireless lifeline program, thousands of low-income individuals are able to receive discounted phone and internet services. However, to enjoy these benefits, you have to meet the qualification criteria set by the Federal Communication Commission.
This article will expound on AT&T Wireless Lifeline Program, applying for a free device, the qualification criteria, and the types of phones offered. So, please continue reading!
Does AT&T Offer Free Government Phones
AT&T Wireless does not provide any free government phones to its customers. However, they have enticing deals that offer huge discounts on top-of-range cell phones. Some deals allow you to take the phone with no upfront fee to settle the payment monthly over a longer duration.
In addition, the AT&T Wireless Lifeline Program offered can enable thousands of low-income households to access cell phone services and internet at budget-friendly rates.
How Does the AT&T Work with Lifeline Program
As mentioned above, the AT&T Wireless lifeline program was initiated to make wireless services (phone and internet) cheaper for people from strained financial backgrounds.
If you meet the qualification guidelines of the AT&T Wireless Lifeline program, you can have a $5.25 discount off your monthly phone bill or a $9.25 discount off your monthly internet bill.
Customers who qualify by participating in tribal programs can have a $25 discount on their monthly telephone bill. Note that only one household member can apply for an AT&T Wireless free government phone. You also cannot enjoy the phone and internet discounts at ago.
Will participating in the AT&T Lifeline program help you get AT&T Wireless free government phone? No, but it will help you access plans that will allow you to get a good phone for free and pay in smaller monthly installments.
How to Qualify for an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
To qualify for an AT&T Wireless free government phone, you have to be eligible and participate in the AT&T Lifeline Program. What are some of the AT&T lifeline program qualification guidelines? Here they are:
Qualification Based on Income
The Federal Communication Commission has set guidelines that can be used to determine if someone qualifies for Lifeline assistance or not. To be eligible, the FCC states that your annual income should not be more than 135% of the poverty threshold.
This threshold slightly differs for each state and is updated each year. If you qualified for Lifeline in a previous year, you would still have to confirm to see if you’re within the threshold set for the current year.
Qualification based on Government Programs
The second way you can be eligible for the AT&T Wireless lifeline program is to actively participate in a Federal Government assistance program. Participation in these programs is proof that you don’t have the financial capabilities to purchase a high-end device. Some of them include:
- The Federal Public Housing Assistance program/FPHA
- The Supplemental Security Income program/SSI
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal Head Start
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/TANF
- Federal Pell Grant
- Food Distribution programs on Indian Reservation/FDPIR
Additional Qualification Guidelines
Some other qualification guidelines that you need to meet before you’re enrolled in the AT&T Wireless lifeline program include:
- You are required to live in a place where AT&T wireless offers the Lifeline program. You can visit AT&T lifeline page to find out if AT&T Wireless offers lifeline services in your area.
- No member of your household, including you, should be enrolled in a Lifeline program offered by AT&T or any other wireless service provider; otherwise, you will be disqualified.
- You have to be an active member of the AT&T Wireless service and enroll in one of their plans.
- Finally, you have to renew your Lifeline discount each year to enjoy the benefits of the AT&T Lifeline program.
Which Documents Need to Get an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
If you’re applying for an AT&T Wireless free government phone through the Lifeline program, you are required to have the documents below as proof of your eligibility:
Documents That Show Your Income
The only way that AT&T can prove that your earnings are insufficient to buy an advanced phone is if you present any of the documents below:
- Pay stubs for three consecutive months
- Tax return for the state you reside in
- Bank statements
- Pension distribution statement
- Unemployment benefits statement
Documents That Show Your Identity
These are needed to prove that you are the only one benefitting from the Lifeline program and may include:
- State-issued Identity Card
- Certificate of birth
- Driving license
Documents That Show Your Enrollment in a Government Assistance Program
- A financial aid award letter
- Medicaid Letter
- A Verification letter for the Federal Public Housing Assistance program
- A general letter to show you’re receiving aid from the Bureau of Indian Affairs
- A Social Security benefit verification letter
- Tribal Head Start enrollment letter
- TANF organization statement
How To Get an AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
Step-by-step instructions on how to apply for and receive an AT&T Wireless free government phone:
Step 1: Determine if You’re Eligible
Before you apply for an AT&T Wireless free government phone, you need to determine if you’re eligible. To be eligible for a free government phone, you must meet certain income requirements or participate in a government assistance program such as Medicaid, SNAP, or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). You can check your eligibility by visiting the AT&T Wireless website or calling their customer service hotline.
Step 2: Gather Your Documentation
To apply for an AT&T Wireless free government phone, you’ll need to provide proof of eligibility. This may include a copy of your government-issued ID, proof of income, or proof of participation in a government assistance program. Be sure to gather all necessary documentation before applying.
Step 3: Apply Online or In Person
Once you’ve determined your eligibility and gathered your documentation, you can apply for an AT&T Wireless free government phone either online or in person. To apply online, visit the AT&T Wireless website and fill out the application form. To apply in person, visit an AT&T Wireless store near you.
Step 4: Wait for Approval
After you’ve submitted your application, you’ll need to wait for approval. This process may take a few days to a few weeks, depending on the volume of applications AT&T Wireless is receiving. Once your application has been approved, you’ll receive a confirmation email or letter.
Step 5: Activate Your Phone
Once your application has been approved, you’ll need to activate your phone. You can do this by following the instructions provided by AT&T Wireless. You may need to insert a SIM card into your phone, set up your voicemail, and configure other settings.
Step 6: Enjoy Your Free Phone
Congratulations! You now have an AT&T Wireless free government phone. You can use your phone to make calls, send texts, and access the internet. Be sure to take advantage of all the features your phone has to offer.
The 5 Best AT&T Wireless Free Government Phone
Most of the AT&T Wireless free government phones are standard models that are not preferred. However, if you’re an AT&T consumer, you can get huge discounts on the phones below:
1. iPhone 8
Apple usually manufactures phones that outperform its competitors, and the iPhone 8 is a perfect example.
- This phone has an iOS 11 that is easily upgradable to iOS 13 to run the phone without any glitches.
- iPhone 8 is known for its Hexa-core CPU and apple GPU, which helps people play games on their phones without hanging.
- The screen size is only 4.7 inches with a retina IPS LCD. It is protected by an ion strengthened glass and an oleophobic coating.
- Although the iPhone 8 has no microSD slots, its 64GB internal storage is enough to store all your important files. This is in addition to the 2GB RAM that it already possesses.
- There are two cameras on the phone, one on the rear end and one on the front. If you want to capture marvelous photos of your surroundings, you can use the rear one with a 12MP resolution, but if you want to take selfies, the front one with a 7MP resolution will work just fine.
- A fingerprint sensor is available at the front for you to lock and unlock your phone for extra security.
- For powering the phone throughout the day, you have a Li-ion 1821 mAh battery that is non-detachable.
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 8
AT&T Wireless offers this phone which is compatible with GSM networks. Some of its outstanding features are mentioned below.
- The Galaxy Note 8 has a 6.3-inch display protected by gorilla glass 5. Its resolution is 1440 by 2960 pixels. With this display, you won’t strain your eyes while watching videos on YouTube or any other platform.
- This phone runs on Android 7.1.1, which you can upgrade to Android 9.0. Even when browsing heavily, your phone will continue to run seamlessly.
- Samsung galaxy note 8 has a dual camera with a resolution of 12 MP that can take high-definition photos. Additionally, it has an 8 MP Selfie camera.
- When it comes to security, this phone tops our list. It has a fingerprint sensor mounted on the rear end and an iris scanner.
- Battery size is not an issue as its 3300 mAh Li-ion battery can last you a whole day.
3. LG G6 H8 71
Its name might be long and complicated, but its wide range of features covers that. Below are some of its capabilities.
- This phone is operated using the Android 7.0 operating system. But if you still don’t like how it functions, you can upgrade the operating system further to Android 9.0.
- It has an internal storage capacity of 32 GB. A memory card slot has also been availed if you feel like the internal storage will not suffice.
- A Qualcomm MSM 8996 Snapdragon 821 chipset has been placed to compliment the 4GB RAM to eliminate lag.
- You will never complain of a bad photo or video due to the dual back camera with resolutions of 13 MP. For selfies, you can use the 5MP front camera.
- Like the previous phone on our list, the LG G6 has a 3300 mAh battery which can last more than a whole day on a full charge.
4. Alcatel OneTouch Ideal
The Alcatel OneTouch is a good AT&T Wireless free government phone for people with low yearly earnings. AT&T offers it to you when it is already unlocked.
- The Operating system is an Android 4.1. For a basic phone, this will do the trick. Upgrading to a more recent Android version is also possible.
- Its internal storage is only 8GB, but you can supplement it with an external memory card.
- The Alcatel OneTouch has the lowest RAM of all the phones on our list; 1 GB. However, it can still carry out the basic functions efficiently.
- There is an 1800 mAh battery for powering the phone while you carry out your daily operations.
5. LG K8 Phoenix 2 K371
LG is one of the leading brands in producing top-of-the-range devices. While this phone is a bit outdated, it still has many impressive features.
- There is an Android 7.1.2 operating system that functions smoothly for a basic phone. Additionally, you have Qualcomm MSM8909 Snapdragon 210 chipset with a quad-core CPU to ensure that you can browse and watch without interruptions.
- The LG K8 has a 16GB ROM and a 2GB RAM for storing your files.
- An 8MP back camera and 5MP selfie camera facilitate for creation of videos professionally.
- It comes with a 2125 mAh Li-ion battery, which keeps the phone on even when you have been browsing for a long time.
Getting an AT&T Wireless free government phone is a step in the right direction if you want to communicate efficiently but don’t have the resources to purchase a good device. This is because AT&T Wireless is one of the service providers with the largest network coverage in the country.
As mentioned above, applying for a phone from them is easy, and they offer you a variety of phones to choose from. Try your luck today!
Frequently Asked Questions
The main reason is that AT&T Wireless offers special deals that allow you to get advanced phones. In addition, AT&T wireless has good network coverage in many parts of the country.
Yes, you can. If your phone is unlocked and the network is similar, e.g., both are GSM networks.
Just visit their support page and state your problem. You will be instructed step by step on how to handle the issue.
Most of the free phones that AT&T Wireless gives out are basic to average phones. However, they offer discounted prices for high-end phones like the recent iPhone and Samsung models.