If you are a low-income resident of Texas, you may be eligible for a free government phone through the Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). These programs are designed to help people who cannot afford basic telephone service stay connected.
To qualify for a free government phone in Texas, you must meet one of the following income requirements:
- Your household income must be at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- You must participate in one of the following government assistance programs:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Food Stamps/SNAP
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
- National School Lunch Program
- Federal Pell Grant
- Multiple Tribal Assistance Programs
How to Apply
Once you have determined that you are eligible, you can apply for a free government phone through one of the following participating providers:
To apply, you will need to provide your name, address, phone number, and income information. You may also be asked to provide proof of eligibility, such as a copy of your benefit statement from a government assistance program.
What You Get
If you are approved for a free government phone, you will receive a free smartphone or basic cell phone, as well as free monthly service. Your service plan will typically include unlimited talk and text, as well as a certain amount of data.
Benefits of Having a Free Government Phone
Having a free government phone can provide a number of benefits, including:
- Stay connected with friends, family, and employers.
- Access essential services, such as job boards, government websites, and healthcare resources.
- Get help in an emergency.
Tips for Applying
Here are a few tips for applying for a free government phone in Texas:
- Be prepared to provide your name, address, phone number, and income information.
- Gather proof of eligibility, such as a copy of your benefit statement from a government assistance program.
- Apply to multiple providers to increase your chances of approval.
- Follow the instructions carefully and submit all required documentation.
If you are a low-income resident of Texas, you may be eligible for a free government phone through the Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program. These programs can help you stay connected and access essential services.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does Texas give free phones?
Yes, Texas gives free phones to eligible low-income residents through the Lifeline and Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). To qualify, your household income must be at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or you must participate in one of certain government assistance programs.
Who has the best free government phones?
The best free government phone for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. However, some of the most popular providers include Assurance Wireless, AT&T Prepaid, enTouch Wireless, Life Wireless, SafeLink Wireless, and TruConnect. These providers offer a variety of free phone plans that include unlimited talk and text, as well as a certain amount of data.
Can we get free iPhone?
No, you cannot get a free iPhone through the Lifeline or ACP programs. However, some providers may offer free Android smartphones or basic cell phones. You can also check with your local mobile carriers to see if they have any special offers or discounts on iPhones for low-income customers.
How to get an Obama phone in Texas?
The Obama phone program was discontinued in 2016. However, you can still get a free phone in Texas through the Lifeline and ACP programs. To apply, contact one of the participating providers listed above.
What is the new cell phone fee in Texas?
As of July 1, 2023, there is a new $0.09999 per month fee on all wireless service plans in Texas. This fee is used to fund the state’s 911 emergency call centers.