Free laptops with food stamps refer to a program initiated by the federal government to provide computers to impoverished people in the community. It is one of the many assistance programs that seek to improve the lives of citizens by enabling them technologically.
The government has set stringent guidelines for qualifying for assistance through these programs. Food stamps or, as it is called today, Supplemental Nutrition Program, can make you eligible for a free laptop from the government. How do they make you eligible+? Participation in food stamps shows the government that you cannot afford to purchase a laptop.
Keep reading this article if you want to know how to get a free laptop with food stamps.
What Does Food Stamps Mean
Food Stamps refers to a federal government-initiated program providing food and nutrition assistance to disadvantaged households. This program was established during the 80s to help out thousands of Americans. Today it is referred to as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program).
Beneficiaries of this program can buy food and groceries at select stores all around America. More recently, SNAP beneficiaries can also apply for a free laptop with food stamps from the government through the EBB and ACP programs. Membership in SNAP makes you eligible.
Who Is Eligible For Food Stamps
Like all other programs run by the government, food stamps require you to meet certain qualification criteria. These include:
- If you apply for SNAP, your income should be below 130% of the recommended poverty guidelines every month.
- You should be working a minimum of 30-80 hours every week. If you’re living with a disability or undertaking any drug rehabilitation, the minimum you should work is30 hours every week. For normal people, excluding pregnant women, you’ll need to clock a minimum of 80 hours each week.
- The minimum amount of savings that a household should have in a bank account is $2250. This figure is different for every state. You can check out the poverty guidelines.
- Your household’s expenditure on housing should not be more than 30% of the total income.
- Legal immigrants who have stayed in the USA for more than 5 years can qualify for SNAP if they apply.
- Students who cannot fend for themselves because of low income meet the eligibility criteria also.
How EBB Program Makes You Eligible for A Free Laptop
As mentioned above, participating in the EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefits) makes you eligible for a free laptop from the government. But, what is the EBB program?
The EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) program is a Federal Government assistance program that provides broadband services to low-income households. It also gives free laptops to people enrolled in the food stamps program to assist them at school or work.
In December 2021, the EBB program was replaced by the ACP (Affordable Connectivity Program). However, its mandate and qualification criteria remained the same. Here are some of the prerequisites for this program:
- Your income or that of your household should not surpass 135% of the guidelines set by the government.
- If you were laid off from work, you could be eligible for a free laptop.
- Your participation in any government-aided programs will help you be eligible. These include Lifeline Assistance Program, Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, Supplemental Security Income, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, and Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit Program. Participation in tribal programs also qualifies you.
- If you are awarded a Federal Pell Grant during the current year, you can be eligible for the EBB program.
- Being a member of the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program will qualify you for a free laptop from the government through the EBB program.
Which Documents Do You Need to Get a Free Laptop with Food Stamps
There are a few documents that you’re going to need when applying for a free laptop with food stamps, including:
- SNAP award letter to show that you are enrolled in that program.
- Proof of Eligibility documents showing that you are a beneficiary of this program.
- Benefits Card.
- Identity proof documents include a US passport, a military ID, a birth certificate, and a driver’s license.
How to Get a Free Laptop with Food Stamps
It is very simple to get a free laptop with food stamps from the federal government. Just follow the procedure outlined below:
- STEP 1: Enroll in the EBB program stated above. Ensure that you meet their qualification guidelines and that you are a participant of the Food Stamps program.
- STEP 2: Search for a Service Provider collaborating with the Federal Government in the EBB program. The service provider has to be in the state you reside. Get in touch with them.
- STEP 3: Inquire about getting a free laptop with food stamps from your service provider. They will assist you with the whole application process. The service provider will then verify the information you’ve sent to them.
- STEP 4: If your information is correct and approved, the service provider will let you know how and when you will receive your laptop.
Which Organizations Offer Free Laptops with Food Stamps
A couple of non-profit organizations provide free laptops with food stamps to low-income families. They include:
1. Computer With Causes
Computer With Causes is a non-profit organization that gives free laptops to low-income households, disabled people, veterans, and the elderly. Before Computer With Causes gives you a free laptop, they carry out a thorough background check to ensure that you haven’t falsified any information.
If you need a laptop, this is one of the most reliable organizations you can depend on. Visit Computer With Causes, and start your application process.
2. PCs For People
PCs For People is among the leading non-profit organizations in bridging the digital divide created when people can’t afford digital devices. PCs For People collaborate with top computer companies like Dell, HP, and Lenovo to provide computers to eligible individuals.
Their operations are centered on improving digital literacy by providing internet services and educational material. To get a free laptop from them, you need to apply from PCs For People. Make sure you check out their eligibility criteria from their website first.
3. Human I-T
This is a charitable organization that has the goal of assisting financially challenged Americans with digital devices like computers and phones. In addition, their participation in the EBB program enables them to provide internet services to low-income households at a discounted price.
If you want to receive a free laptop from Human I-T just go to their website and complete an application. Attach all the documents needed and send the application. If there is any part that you don’t understand, you can call them at (562) 372-6925.
4. Alliance For Technology
Alliance for Technology obtains old computers from big companies such as Dell, refurbishes them and distributes them to the less fortunate in society. This organization collaborates with other non-profit organizations such as Virginia Star, Interconnection and Computer Reach to help fill the gap left by the digital divide.
To get a laptop from them, you have to be eligible for the EBB program. You can find out from them if they are available in your location before sending an application.
5. World Computer Exchange
The last organization on our list partners with the Federal Government, NGOs, and other like-minded institutions to offer free laptops to young people who can’t afford them. World Computer Exchange can be contacted easily through their website if you need help applying for a free laptop from them.
If you didn’t know how to get a free laptop with food stamps, you should have an idea by now. All of the organizations mentioned above can help you own a good laptop if you don’t have the means. Before applying for a free Laptop, check out their site to see if they are legit and, if they are, which models they have in store. The whole process, from application to receiving the laptop might take some time so you will need to be patient. Good luck!
Frequently Asked Questions
Before you can qualify for food stamps, you are required to meet the federal poverty guidelines. This shows them that you need the laptop, so they don’t have to ask you for more information.
You can only accept the free laptop model you are offered. The service provider chooses which laptop model to give you because not all brands are available full-time.
Yes, but it will depend on the Affordable Connection Program’s service provider. Some of the organizations mentioned above provide free internet service together with the laptop.
A free laptop benefits anybody, including students, teachers, workers, retired vets, or people with disabilities. This is because of the various uses mentioned in this article that it has.