You’ve just bought an excellent unlocked phone, and you intend to use it on the T-Mobile network. Do you know how to activate unlocked phone T-Mobile? What do you need for the phone to work?
Activating an unlocked phone on T-Mobile isn’t tricky and involves inserting the SIM card and taking several steps. This article discusses what it takes to activate an unlocked phone on the T-Mobile network. Could you keep reading to learn more about it?
What Is an Unlocked Phone?
An unlocked phone is suitable for any network carrier. With an unlocked phone, you can choose a suitable network for you. You don’t have to be tied down to just one network but can choose T-Mobile.
The opposite of an unlocked phone is a locked device tied down to a specific network carrier and a one-year or multi-year contract. It is impossible to switch networks or sell a locked phone without paying off existing carrier bills.
An unlocked phone makes it extremely easy for you to switch to a cheaper, better network. Therefore, you can join T-Mobile or any other network you deem good enough.
What Kind of Unlocked Phones Can Be Used on T-Mobile?
You can use any phone on the T-Mobile network. If you have a phone from popular manufacturers like OnePlus, Xiaomi, Samsung, and Apple, it is likely compatible with T-Mobile. Remember, using an unlocked phone on T-Mobile doesn’t void the warranty.
However, it’s not enough to have an unlocked phone. It must be unlocked for the T-Mobile network for a device to work. In the United States, each network carrier has specific frequencies, and so does T-Mobile. That’s why you must check the technical specifications and features to ensure that the unlocked phone can work on the T-Mobile network.
Here is a breakdown of the T-Mobile network frequencies:
- 5G Frequencies: T-Mobile is the single-largest 5G provider in the United States. With 5G, you can send and receive high amounts of data more efficiently and faster than 4G. The T-Mobile network utilizes Band n261 (28 GHz), Band n260 (39 GHz), Band n41 (2.5 GHz), and Band n71 (600 MHz).
- Extended 4G: Extended 4G provides a twice stronger signal than regular 4G. It can penetrate building walls four times over, providing better coverage. The Extended 4G frequencies include Band 12 (700 MHz) and Band 71 (600 MHz).
- 4G LTE: With 4G LTE, you have 50% faster download speeds than 3G. It also provides high-definition voice (VoLTE) and Enhanced Voice Services (EVS) for iPhone users. Its frequencies on T-Mobile include Band 2 (1.9 GHz), Band 4 (1.7/2.1 GHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), and Band 66 (an extension of Band 4).
- 3G (HSPA/UMTS): The 3G network in T-Mobile allows the simultaneous working of voice and data. The frequencies involved are Band 2 (1.9 GHz) and Band 4 (1.7/2.1 GHz).
- 2G (EDGE, GPRS, GSM): With 2G, voice and data cannot work simultaneously. The 2G (EDGE, GPRS, GSM) frequency is only one – Band 2 (1.9 GHz) for the T-Mobile network.
How to Activate Unlocked Phone T-Mobile?
Activating an unlocked phone on T-Mobile is straightforward that doesn’t require you to be a tech geek. By taking a few steps, you can get your unlocked phone working on the T-Mobile network in no time. Here are the simple steps you should take:
1) Check the Phone’s Compatibility with T-Mobile
By reading its network frequencies and technology, you can know if your unlocked phone is compatible with T-Mobile, i.e., 5G, 4G, 4G LTE, 3G, or 2G. You can compare with the technology and frequencies mentioned above.
You can also check the status online using your model and IMEI of the phone. The IMEI is in the About the Phone section of the phone’s settings. You can either visit the phone manufacturer’s website or dial *#06# then the 15-digit IMEI to check the phone’s compatibility status.
2) Activate the T-Mobile SIM Card on the Phone
You can activate a T-Mobile SIM card in two ways – on your phone or online. Activating the SIM card on your unlocked phone is the most common way.
Insert the SIM card into the unlocked phone while it’s powered off. Please turn on the phone and follow the on-screen prompts to set it up. Complete the process by calling 1-800-T-MOBILE.
The customer service representative may require you to provide your unlocked phone’s IMEI and the number on the SIM card. Now that you have an unlocked phone, the SIM card is unlikely pre-installed. So, completing this process is essential. If it proves difficult, you can skip straight to step 3 below.
3) Activate the T-Mobile SIM Card Online
Did you know that activating a T-Mobile SIM card online is more accessible than on the phone? Besides, you can avoid speaking to a customer service representative. After opening the web browser, go to the T-Mobile website.
If you do not already have an account, create a T-Mobile ID or log in to an existing T-Mobile account. Select a line on which you wish to activate the SIM card. Go through the prompted steps to have your account verified. After entering the ICCID number, confirm the change.
If you wish to create a T-Mobile account, you can create a PIN for the account and provide your phone number. Complete the essential fields and click Submit for T-Mobile to activate your SIM card.
4) Activate a T-Mobile eSIM
While having a physical SIM is more popular than an eSIM, the latter is also an option for activating your phone. If your phone has a single SIM, having an eSIM makes it possible for you to activate the dual-SIM function. If your device utilizes AT&T or Verizon, an eSIM makes it possible to add a specific T-Mobile number.
Here is How to Activate a T-Mobile eSIM on an Unlocked Phone:
- Step 1: Connect to Wi-Fi and download your eSIM. With an iPhone, you can automatically receive to download an eSIM when it becomes available.
- Step 2: Create a T-Mobile account or log in to an existing one. Choose the phone number to activate the new eSIM.
- Step 3: Follow the prompts to complete a security verification and enter the EID number. After submitting the information, you should be able to complete the process.
- Step 4: Configure the eSIM settings by scanning the QR code on the T-Mobile website. Within no time, your eSIM should be activated.
Benefits of Getting an Unlocked Phone
In addition to the advantage of an unlocked phone being compatible with the T-Mobile network, there are many other benefits you can enjoy, including the following:
1) Easily Switching Network Carriers
An unlocked phone makes it extremely easy to switch between networks. All you need is to remove one SIM card and replace it with another one. It’s also possible to keep your old phone number while using a different prefix. You don’t need to change your old phone as you switch your SIM card.
2) A Variety of Options
With an unlocked phone, you have many options, including not being confined to your network carrier’s cell phone options. If your network carrier doesn’t have the phone you want, you can import a device. You need to check that the phone supports its frequency bands for the T-Mobile network.
3) High Resell Value
It can be challenging to sell a contract phone since it has many restrictions related to ownership. You can list it on an online store with an unlocked phone and sell it quickly. The buyer can then choose a network carrier they wish to work with.
4) Support for the Dual-SIM Option
If you like having services from two network carriers simultaneously, having an unlocked SIM makes it easier for you. You can install two different SIM cards from two of your most preferred networks. If the two SIM cards are from the same carrier, one can be for making local calls and another for international calls. It is the best way for frequent fliers to stay connected to the local network.
5) Freedom from Long-Term Contract
A locked phone can tie you to a lopsided and unfair long-term contract. You can break free from such a contract with an unlocked phone by quickly switching to a different network provider. No need to put up with poor services and expensive plans.
The Bottom Line
If you’re wondering how to activate unlocked phone T-Mobile, you only need to check the phone’s compatibility with the T-Mobile network. Once you have ascertained the compatibility status, activate the T-Mobile SIM card via phone or online. Alternatively, you can get an eSIM, which allows you to have dual-SIM on a single-SIM phone.
Having an unlocked phone has many advantages, including making it possible for you to avoid lopsided phone contracts. You can also switch networks and get a variety of options. For example, if you do not like your current network carrier, you can hook up with T-Mobile. Lastly, it’s easier to resell an unlocked phone and get high returns.