Owning a phone has become an essential need rather than a luxury. Phones facilitate communication, enable users to attend online classes, make it easier to conduct business, and provide entertainment. But, unfortunately, some people cannot afford a cell phone!
You can get a TruConnect free phone if you qualify for government initiatives such as an Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and Lifeline Assistance. However, you must be from a low-income family or participate in a government aid program.
What phone does TruConnect give you for free? This article discusses the various types of phones and how to get them.
- Examples of TruConnect Free Phones
- TruConnect Bring Your Own Phone
- Which Phones Are Compatible with TruConnect
- How do I Get a TruConnect Free Phone
- What Documents Do You need to apply for a TrueConnect Free Phone
- How to Apply for a TruConnect Free Phone
- How to Check Your TruConnect Application Status
- How to Activate a TruConnect Phone
- States in Which You Get a TruConnect Free Phone
- TruConnect Replacement Phone Guide
- The Bottom Line
- Related Articles
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Examples of TruConnect Free Phones
There are several brands and makes of TruConnect free phones on the market. The network carrier works with various brands, ensuring you get the best phone possible. Here are some of the phones you can get free of charge courtesy of TruConnect:
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Google Pixel 6a
- Motorola Moto G42
- OnePlus 10 Pro 5G
- iPhone 13
- Nokia 2760 Flip
- Samsung Galaxy A53 5G
- Google Pixel 6 Pro
- Motorola Moto G62 5G
- OnePlus 9
- iPhone SE
- Nokia X100 5G
- Samsung Galaxy A51
- Google Pixel 6
- Motorola RAZR 3
- OnePlus 9 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy A71
- Google Pixel 5a 5G
- Motorola Moto E31s
- OnePlus 8T
- iPhone 12
- Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
- Google Pixel 4a 5G
- Motorola Moto G7 1s 5G
- OnePlus Nord N20
- Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G
- Google Pixel 4a
- Motorola Moto G82 5G
- OnePlus Nord N200
- Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
- Google Pixel 4 XL
- Motorola Moto G 5G (2022)
- OnePlus Nord N100
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
- Google Pixel 4
- Motorola Moto G Stylus 5G
- OnePlus 8
- Samsung Galaxy S10+
- Google Pixel 3a
- Motorola Moto G52
- OnePlus 8
TruConnect Bring Your Own Phone
TruConnect operates on the T-Mobile network as a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). It has affordable phone plans, and those who qualify can get free phones. If you intend to join TruConnect from another network, you can bring your phone or buy a new one.
Through the TruConnect bring your own phone (BYOP) program, you can retain your phone number after joining TruConnect. However, here are a few things you must consider:
- You must have fully paid for your phone with the former service provider
- The phone should be unlocked and not tied to any other service provider
- You shouldn’t have a phone that’s been reported lost or stolen
- The phone should be compatible with TruConnect. You can check compatibility by keying in the phone’s IMEI number.
Which Phones Are Compatible with TruConnect
Phones from several brands and makes are compatible with the TruConnect Network. Thus, if you have a phone from any of these networks, you can easily migrate with it to TruConnect. Here are some of the brands with TruConnect-compatible phones:
Apple is the producer of the high-end iPhone, which have outstanding features. iPhones use GSM technology and are more likely to be compatible with the TruConnect Network. Some of the latest Apple phones that can work on the Network include iPhone 12, iPhone 13, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone SE.
Motorola was one of the first mobile phone brands. It produces high-quality devices compatible with the TruConnect Network. The phones come unlocked and include the Motorola Moto G42, Motorola Moto G62 5G, Motorola RAZR 3, Motorola Moto E31s, Motorola Moto G7 1s 5G, Motorola Moto G82 5G, Motorola Moto G 5G, and Motorola Moto G Stylus 5G.
Nokia is another top brand that provides solid and durable phones with quality cameras, lasting batteries, excellent screen resolution, and ample storage space. Some of the most popular Nokia phones include Nokia 2760 Flip, Nokia X100 5G, Nokia G50, Nokia C100, Nokia C200, Nokia XR20, Nokia G300 5G, Nokia G20, Nokia G10, Nokia 8.3 5G, Nokia 8 V 5G UW, and Nokia 5.4.
4) OnePlus One
Another major brand that relies solely on the GSM network is OnePlus One. It is, therefore, compatible with the TruConnect Network. You can shift to the TruConnect Network with OnePlus One phones such as OnePlus 10 Pro 5G, OnePlus 9, OnePlus 9 Pro, OnePlus 8T, One Plus Nord N20, OnePlus N200, One Plus Nord N100, and OnePlus 8.
Whether you get Samsung as a TruConnect free phone or you wish to migrate with one from your old Network, this is one of the best options. Samsung is the foremost maker of high-end Android phones. Its phones are all GSM devices and are compatible with the TruConnect Network.
Examples include Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy A53 5G, Samsung Galaxy A51, Samsung Galaxy A71, Samsung Galaxy S21 5G, Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G, Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, and Samsung Galaxy S10+.
How do I Get a TruConnect Free Phone
You can get a TruConnect free phone through Lifeline Assistance in 36 U.S. However, you can only get a free phone after enrolling online for the TruConnect Lifeline Assistance. Then, after meeting the eligibility guidelines, you can get a free phone.
So, you must confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria before enrolling for Lifeline Assistance or ACP. Each program has a distinct eligibility criterion, so you must ensure you meet the specific provisions.
Lifeline Assistance Eligibility Criteria
The TruConnect free phone is available to anyone from a low-income family through Lifeline Assistance. You can apply for a free phone if you live in a house with an income of 135% of the current federal poverty guidelines.
As an alternative, you are eligible for a TruConnect free phone if you participate in one government assistance program, such as the following:
- Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Medical Assistance or Medicaid
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Veterans Survivor Pension Fund
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for the Needy Families
- Food Distribution Programs on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribal Head Start
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
ACP Eligibility Criteria
- Income: Applicants for a TruConnect free phone through the ACP must belong to a household with an income under 200% of the prevailing federal poverty guidelines.
- Pell Grant: Alternatively, you must be a beneficiary of the federal Pell grant or an undergraduate free benefit. That essentially means that your family is unable to support your studies for undergraduate studies, and you have to rely on government assistance.
- Free Student Lunch: Other eligibility criteria include having at least one household member enrolled in a school breakfast or reduced-price lunch program.
- Disability: You can also qualify for a TruConnect free phone via ACP if a reputable health institution certifies that you’re living with a disability.
- Government Assistance: Lastly, you can qualify for a TruConnect free phone if you or a household member participates in a federal or tribal government assistance program.
What Documents Do You need to apply for a TrueConnect Free Phone
You can apply for a TruConnect free phone with the proper documents. By attaching the documents to your application, you can prove eligibility for the phone. For example, you must attach income-related paperwork if you qualify based on income.
That, too, is true for those qualifying on the strength of participation in a government assistance program. But you must also attach documents proving your identity. Here are the different categories of documents you need to apply for a TruConnect free government phone:
1) Personal Documents
Personal documents are for proving your identity. They include official paperwork with your full name, date of birth, and social security number. Proof of identity may consist of documents such as the following:
- Birth certificate
- Driving license
- Government-issues ID
- Lease statement, mortgage statement, or utility bill to prove residence
2) Income Documents
This category contains documents with your income details. These documents prove that your income is below 135% or 200% of the prevailing federal poverty guidelines. You can check the Lifeline Assistance official page for your income limit.
Any present document should have your official name and show your annual income. Here are the copies you require:
- Pension statement of benefits
- Current income statement workers or unemployment compensation statements of benefits
- Paycheck stub
- The federal, state, or tribal return of the previous year
- Social security statement of benefits
3) Assistance Program Statements
Probably, you or a family member participates in a government assistance program. In that case, you must attach statements or documents proving your participation in the program. You may copy, scan, or take photos of the documents before attaching them to your application.
Whatever you do, avoid submitting original copies of your government assistance documents. Instead, the documents should show your official name, the name of the government assistance program, the name of the government, tribal entity, or institution issuing the program, and the expiration date.
The most prominent programs include:
- SSI award letter,
- Medicaid approval letter,
- Tribal heat start benefits verification letter,
- Federal Pell Grant school documentation,
- and Federal Public Housing Assistance statement of benefits.
How to Apply for a TruConnect Free Phone
Once you have all the documents ready, apply for a TruConnect free phone. You can apply by visiting the TruConnect official website and responding to related questions. Here’s the procedure you can take to apply for a free phone with TruConnect:
- Step 1: Visit the TruConnect application page.
- Step 2: Enter your email address and ZIP code and press Apply Now.
- Step 3: The next page is the TruConnect Lifeline Assistance application form. Enter your name, contact information, home address, date of birth, and a four-digit security code. Click Next.
- Step 4: Answer all the questions that follow, providing accurate information.
- Step 5: Attach all the relevant documents.
- Step 6: Submit the form. There’s no guarantee that you will get an automatic acceptance after submitting your application form. TruConnect may reject or accept your application after evaluating it. They may also ask for additional information or documentation where necessary.
Once approved, TruConnect will ship the phone and accompanying SIM card free of charge. TruConnect issues phones based on availability and are not obligated to give you any particular brand or model. You must apply an activation code to get your phone working.
How to Check Your TruConnect Application Status
After successfully submitting a TruConnect application form, you’ll receive an account number through which you can check your application status. You can also wait for email updates from TruConnect.
Alternatively, you can contact customer support at 1-800-430-0443 from Monday to Saturday, between 5:am and 9:00 pm PST.
How to Activate a TruConnect Phone
After receiving a free phone from TruConnect, you should activate it before using it to call, text, or browse. The phone package has clear instructions on the phone activation procedure, making it easier for you. If you have issues with activation, don’t hesitate to call customer support for assistance.
Here is the process of activating a TruConnect free phone:
- Step 1: Insert your TruConnect SIM card into the device.
- Step 2: Power your phone on.
- Step 3: Dial 611 from the phone’s keypad. You’ll receive a welcome message from TruConnect.
- Step 4: Finalize by setting your APN settings.
States in Which You Get a TruConnect Free Phone
As a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), TruConnect depends on T-Mobile. Thus, TruConnect reaches clients in areas with T-Mobile coverage. Given that T-Mobile is top-three in the U.S, it covers over 99% of the population. Therefore, TruConnect provides broad coverage.
It offers free phones via Lifeline Assistance and ACP in the following states:
- New York
- New Jersey
- South Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
- Rhode Island
TruConnect Replacement Phone Guide
Yes, you can get a TruConnect free phone replacement if your device gets broken, stolen, lost, or malfunctions. However, you must conform to the TruConnect terms and conditions.
Remember that TruConnect doesn’t manufacture any of the devices it offers. Thus, the manufacturer is responsible for any losses, omissions, and defects built into the phone. In addition, you have to claim a phone’s warranty from the retailer who sold it to you.
In some instances, new phones have manufacturer’s warranties, varying from 1 to 2 years. It can help you quickly get a replacement device. However, the warranty becomes void if you accidentally drop or damage the phone with water. Be sure to contact customer support to inquire how you should proceed with applying for a TruConnect phone.
TruConnect Free Government Phone Replacement PolicyThere’s a government policy for replacing free phones for eligible clients. If you’re eligible for a phone replacement, you’ll receive a device, TruConnect. That applies to devices received both under ACP and Lifeline Assistance.
Thanks to the policy, you can get a TruConnect free phone replacement if your phone malfunctions in the first 90 days, or you return it within ten days after the first 90 days have expired. After that, there’s a replacement cost which TruConnect covers at the carrier’s expense.
However, you may not get the same phone model as a replacement. In addition, the phone you get depends on the available devices. So, it would help if you called customer support at 1-800-430-0443 to enquire about the replacement phones.
Besides, you have to submit an accurate return address when handing in the replacement claim. However, you won’t get a free phone replacement if your device gets damaged outside the first 90 days or if you return it more than ten days after the first 90 days. In that case, you’re liable you all the commensurate replacement costs for a TruConnect free phone.
The Bottom Line
With a TruConnect free phone, you have the perfect opportunity to connect with your friends and family. In addition, you qualify for the phone if you participate in ACP or Lifeline assistance. Besides a free telephone, eligible customers enjoy unlimited talk, text, and internet.
Each qualifying low-income family gets one device at a time. That means you cannot have more than two free phones from the government. Every year, you have to review your eligibility for the program.
- How Do I Get Access Wireless Free Phone
- Life Wireless Free Phone With Lifeline Programs
- What Phone Companies Give Free Phones When You Switch