Verizon Wireless is one of the country’s leading providers of telecommunication services. Since its inception over 20 years ago, it has expanded its network coverage significantly and now offers wireless services in some remote areas of the country.
Currently, it leads all the other carriers when it comes to the provision of 4G LTE networks, and they are still working to improve their 5G network coverage which you can enjoy if you have 5G-capable devices. The company also offers a wide range of unique gadgets, such as laptops, cell phones, and tablets which you can use to enjoy some of their reliable services.
Aside from that, the company collaborates with the government to offer free and discounted internet to financially strained households through the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program. This article will focus on how you can get the Verizon ACP and the benefits you can enjoy, so read more to find out.
What is the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program
The Verizon ACP is an assistance program offered by Verizon in collaboration with the Federal Government to provide discounted broadband services to households struggling financially. Through this program, several low-income families can access the internet for work, communication, and entertainment.
This program was designed and run by the Federal Communications Commission. It provides a $30 monthly discount to eligible households to help them settle their internet service bills. It also offers monthly discounts of up to $75 to eligible households who live in tribal lands for the same purpose. The Verizon Affordable Connectivity program has successfully helped to bridge the gap created due to the inaccessibility of internet services to several households.
Difference Between the Verizon EBB and ACP
What is the difference between Emergency Broadband Benefit and Affordable Connectivity Program? The EBB was a short-term program created during the COVID-19 pandemic to support low-income households struggling to pay their broadband service bills. Wireless Service Providers such as Verizon participated in the program to ensure that people living below the poverty line benefitted from it.
This program was concluded on December 31, 2021, after the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act was passed, to pave the way for a more long-term program, the Affordable Connectivity. Luckily, the Federal Government provided 60 days for all the members of the EBB to move to the ACP.
Although the two programs differ slightly, they still carry the same mandate. All Verizon customers who needed internet assistance and were not members of the Emergency Broadband Benefit can enrol for the ACP if they meet all the guidelines set for the program.
How Can You Qualify for the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program
As stated above, there are several eligibility criteria that Verizon uses to determine households that need financial assistance to cover the cost of their broadband services. These criteria are standard for all service providers participating in the Affordable Connectivity Program the Federal Communication Commission offers.
To get monthly discounts from Verizon through its Affordable Connectivity Program, you or your household have to satisfy any of the criteria:
- Your household’s annual income should not be more than 200% of the Poverty Guidelines set by the Federal Communication Commission. This amount may differ with the state you reside. For instance, a person’s income in Alaska is capped at $16,990, while that of someone in Hawaii is $15,630.
- You or any member of your household enrolling for the program lost their job or source of income.
- If any member of your household received a Federal Pell Grant in the most recent year.
You may also be eligible if any member of your household is currently signed up for one of the following government assistance or tribal programs:
- Veteran’s Survivor and Pensions Benefit Program
- Supplemental Security Income/SSI
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- The Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch/Breakfast Program offered through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision.
The Tribal Benefit Programs include:
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance/BIA
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
Documents Required for the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program
There are a set of documents that you will be required to submit before you can start receiving a monthly discount from the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program. Verizon needs these documents to ascertain your eligibility for the program.
It is common for Verizon to ask for more information in case they cannot verify what you already provided. There are two ways you can send your application, by mail or online. You should desist from sending the original copies of your documents. Instead, you can create copies using a smartphone, camera, or scanner. The following documents are generally acceptable:
- To ascertain your identity, you have to present official documents containing your legal name and birth date. Some good examples are a driver’s license, green card, birth certificate, a valid government, state, or military Identification card, certificate of naturalization, and passport.
- To ascertain that your total yearly income is below the Poverty Guidelines set by the Federal Government, you have to submit an official document that contains your name and yearly income. These documents include tax returns, child support documents, paycheck stubs, and income statements from your place of employment.
- To ascertain your enrollment in a government assistance program, you should present an official document containing your name, the program you participate in, and the issuing institution. Some examples are approval letters, benefit verification letters, benefit award letters, and statements of benefits.
- To ascertain your address, you need present official documents containing your name and physical address, such as lease statements, utility bills, Tribal ID, mortgage documents, and W-2 forms.
How to Sign Up for the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program
Signing up for the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program is very simple, but first, you will have to confirm Verizon’s coverage in your area. All applications can be made in the comfort of your home. You can opt to apply through mail or contact 833-511-0311 to have a copy of the application form sent to your email.
After receiving the application form, you should print it out and complete it with accurate details before submitting it to this address: ACP Support Center, P.O. Box 7081 London, KY, 40742.
You should note that Verizon provides various services under its Affordable Connectivity Program. So, if you want to apply to a specific ACP-assisted service, you can follow the guidelines provided below:
1. Fios Prepaid
Verizon Fios gives eligible customers access to one of the most reliable networks in the country to enable them to stream, game and chat. To get a monthly discount on your internet with the Verizon Fios Prepaid, you should follow these steps:
- Step 1: Head to the Affordable Connectivity Official page and check if you qualify. If you do, begin the application procedure.
- Step 2: If you’re a first-time customer, you can choose one of the mix-and-match internet plans, while existing customers can continue with the plan they were on or switch to a new one.
- Step 3: Contact Verizon customer service representatives at Call.1.800. Verizon to have the ACP discount applied to your purchase.
2. Home Internet
The Home Internet option will give you access to an ultrafast 5G network from Verizon. If you want to enjoy it, follow the procedure below:
- Step 1: Check if you qualify for the ACP from their official website and start your application.
- Step 2: Confirm the availability of Verizon Home Internet where you reside before proceeding.
- Step 3: Place an order for the 5G Home or LTE Home by calling 1.800.922.0204.
- Step 4: Contact the Verizon customer service representatives using the above mentioned number to have your ACP discount activated.
Verizon also has a mobile plan option that enables you to enjoy free unlimited talk, text, and data. To get it, follow this process:
- Step 1: Confirm your qualification for the Affordable Connectivity program from their official website.
- Step 2: Shop for Verizon mobile plans from the options available on their site. You can choose a standalone mobile hotspot or an unlimited plan.
- Step 3: Contact Verizon’s customer support group at 1.800.922.0204 to apply the Affordable Connectivity Program discount to your order.
4. Verizon Prepaid
The process of applying for Verizon Prepaid is similar to that of Fios prepaid. It involves:
- Step 1: Check if you’re eligible for a discount from the Affordable Connectivity Program website.
- Step 2: Shop for a Verizon prepaid smartphone or data plan from their site and place it in your cart.
- Step 3: Call one of Verizon’s Customer service representatives at 1.800.922.0204 to have the monthly ACP discount applied to your order.
In Which States Can You Get the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program
Before you subscribe to Verizon, you should check if they have coverage in your state. Being a nationwide Wireless Service Provider, Verizon network coverage is available in several states.
Some of them include Hawaii, Georgia, Florida, District of Columbia, Delaware, Connecticut, Colorado, California, Kansas, Arizona, Alaska, Alabama, Maine, Louisiana, Kentucky, Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Idaho, Montana, Mississippi, Minnesota, Michigan, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Oklahoma, Ohio, North Dakota, North Carolina, New York, New Mexico, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Nevada, Nebraska, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia
What Benefits Does the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program Offer
If you are a new or existing Verizon customer who meets all the prerequisites of the Affordable Connectivity Program, then you will be eligible for a $30 monthly ACP discount on your internet service bill. Additionally, if you reside in Tribal lands, you can get as much as $75 as your monthly discount. There are many services that Verizon offers where you can apply these discounts, including:
1. Home Internet
The home internet service consists of Verizon LTE Home Internet, Fios Mix and Match Internet, Verizon HIS, Traditional Fios bundles, and Verizon 5G Home Internet.
The mobile service consists of Unlimited data and bundled plans, standalone Mobile Hotspot plans, and Current and older usage-based data-only plans.
This includes the Verizon Prepaid and Fios Prepaid Internet services.
Limitations of the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program
Like every other government-aided program, the Verizon Affordable Connectivity Program comes with various limitations, such as:
- You cannot sign up for the Verizon ACP unless you or any household member is qualified.
- Each household is only entitled to one Affordable Connectivity Program discount.
- You cannot enrol in ACP from another provider if you’re still enrolled in the Verizon ACP. However, you can transfer your benefit to the other providers when necessary.
- To avoid being cut off from the Verizon ACP, you need to use the service a minimum of once every month.
- If the Federal Communication Commission disbands the Affordable Connectivity Program, Verizon will notify you. However, you will have to pay to continue benefiting from the service.
Internet Connectivity has become a necessity for many households in this era. While being connected to the internet was considered a luxury in the past, it has become essential. This is because it helps you to communicate with your loved ones, apply for jobs, watch the news, and entertain yourself.
However, internet services are still costly, especially for low-income households. This has made many of them lag when it comes to digital migration. Thankfully, the Verizon Affordable Connectivity program provides the necessary assistance to help keep you connected.
Hopefully, this article has elaborated on how to apply for the program and the benefits you will receive.
You Might Also Like
- How to Get Free Internet Services with Food Stamps
- Emergency Broadband Benefit Program Xfinity
- How to Get Free Internet for Students by Government