Mobile handsets have taken the world by storm. Almost everyone is thinking about how to get the latest Android or Apple handset to enjoy exceptional features like dual cameras and fast internet connectivity. If you look at the best family dollar cell phones, you will notice that a majority of the devices are entry smartphones that target seniors who are looking to make a transition to the smartphone world. While the technology emphasis is no longer on feature phones, cordless home phones for seniors remain essential in helping seniors communicate with their relatives and friends.
How Cordless Phones Works?
A cordless phone is an easy-to-use device that combines a receiver and a telephone. It features two parts that include a base and a handset. The base looks like a normal phone and its purpose is to receive an incoming call. It is connected to the phone jack and works by converting the electrical signal to an FM radio signal before broadcasting it to the handset. After receiving the radio signal, the handset processes it to an electrical signal before relaying it to the speaker. The speaker then converts the signal to the audio. When you speak, the handset relays the data as another FM radio signal to the base for further processing. The base converts the signal to an electrical signal before passing it on to the receiver.
The best cordless phones for seniors give you the freedom and flexibility to communicate with your friends while still attending to chores in the same way you do with a mobile phone only that you have to be within the range. Although they have a lot in common with the landline phones for seniors, the fact that the handset lets you talk from your sofa makes cordless devices more popular. Therefore, if you are looking to buy your aging parents one of the best consumer cellular phones for seniors, you would better look for a cordless phone.
In this article, you will find some of the best cordless phones for seniors that you should consider purchasing for your elderly parents.
The 10 Best Cordless Phones for Seniors in 2020
Panasonic Amplified Cordless Phone KX-TGM420W
The KX-TGM420W by Panasonic is a full-featured cordless telephone system that is built to help seniors with mild and moderate hearing loss communicate with friends and relatives easily. With caller volumes of up to 40dB and Slow Talk, you need to buy this phone if you have been struggling to hold a clear conversation with your parents. It has a large 1.8-inch white backlit display with an enlarged, backlit dial keypad. The phone comes with six helpful tones that you can use to help clarify different voice types. If you are struggling to get the message across, a one-touch slow talk control can help slow the speed of speech in a real-time conversation. It comes with two rechargeable Ni-MH batteries that function as a power backup when the power goes out. The battery can power the phone for up to three hours when it is in continuous use.
- 8-inch backlit display
- Slow Talk feature that slows real-time conversations
- Two built-in batteries
- Noise reduction filters
- Answering machine
- Talking keypad
- It has a large display
- It slows down speech for clear conversations
- It offers caller voice amplification
- It can support up to six handsets
- The batteries do not last long
Panasonic DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone KX-TGE433B
It is frustrating for older people when they have to remove their hearing aid to use the phone. The DECT 6.0 KX-TGE433B is TIA 1083 compliant, which makes it perfect for those using a T Coil hearing aid. Your parent can tell who is calling even without getting up from the sofa thanks to an advanced text-to-speech announcement that tell who is calling in English and Spanish. Your parents will not be bothered by telemarketers and other unwanted numbers thanks to dedicated call block buttons available on the base and handsets. With just a single push of a button, you can easily add up to 250 numbers to the call block database.
A voice paging feature lets you inform everyone in the house when the dinner is ready or make simultaneous announcements to every handset in the house. The phone features a large 1.8-inch backlit display and backlit numeric dial keypads that make it convenient to use at any lighting condition. It further comes with a baby monitor feature that lets you monitor when your child starts to cry.
- Baby monitor feature
- Voice paging
- Dedicated call block buttons
- Noise reduction
- It is expandable to six stations
- It helps you keep a tab on your baby
- It announces the ID of the caller
- The speakerphone is not loud
Clarity Dect 6.0 Amplified Low Vision Cordless Phone D703
The Clarity D703 cordless phone is a great big button cordless phone for the elderly. It combines vision, hearing and mobility, ensuring that your elderly can live their old age as comfortable as possible. It helps the elderly to focus on the speech by minimizing background noises as well as eliminating feedback and distortion. The phone has a CID display that is super brighter and an extra loud visual ringer that makes sure that your parents will not miss a call. A hearing loop feature lets you switch the hearing aid to T-coil while a clear handset speakerphone enables hands-free conversations.
- Ten-speed dial buttons
- Ten loud melodies
- Belt clip for hands-free mobility
- Amplification of up to 35dB
- Backlit keypad and display
- It has a large font and big buttons
- It supports a maximum number of five handsets
- It offers clear communication
- You can save up to 100 entries
- It provides sound amplification of up to 35dB
- You can connect it to assistive listening devices
- Audio boost and mute button can be easily mistaken.
VTech CS6114 Cordless Phone
The VTech CS6114 cordless phone is a functional device that offers a better range than most phones without interfering with your home wireless routers. The phone has a large display that makes it easy to see the caller and a backlit keypad that makes it possible to use in low-light situations. It supports a 30-number directory that you can take advantage of to save your essential numbers. It has an easy to read backlit display that lets you know the name, number, date and time of incoming calls. The base is highly versatile as you can choose to mount it on a table or a wall. It is TIA-1083 compliant, ensuring those with hearing difficulty can easily use hearing aids.
- Wall and desk mountable base
- TIA-1083 compliant
- Battery for the cordless handset
- Volume control
- Backlit display and keypad
- You can mount it on the wall
- It is affordable
- It has a call-waiting indicator.
- The directory can only hold 30 numbers.
AT&T CRL82312 Cordless Phone
Retrieving messages, storing information and answering calls will no longer be problematic for your elderly parents with the AT&T CRL82312 cordless phone. The AT&T CRL82312 cordless phone with answering machine offers exceptional long-range coverage and clarity offered by a unique antenna design and advanced noise-filtering technology. The phone has a message counter that shows the messages on the waiting list. It has a capacity to digitally record up to 22 minutes of outgoing announcements, memos and incoming messages. The phone gives you increased flexibility as it allows instant playback, selective save or delete, and repeating or skipping messages from the base and handset.
The CRL82312 phone features one button that lets you instantly increase the volume of incoming calls and enhance sound frequencies to make speech-easier to understand. It further comes with large backlit keys and enlarged font, which makes it ideal for visually impaired individuals. If you need a moment of silence, you can use a quiet mode to make the ringer silent on the base and handset. If your family grows, you can expand it to use up to 12 handsets.
- Quiet mode
- High contrast LCD
- A Full duplex handset speaker
- Caller ID announce
- Message counter with a timestamp
- One button operation
- It has a functional answering system that lets you save, delete or skip messages
- It announces caller ID letting you know the name of the caller
- An extra-large display makes it easy to use at day or night
- It enables you to speak freely
- It is expandable by up to 12 handsets
- The single button operation requires greater attention
VTech SN6307 Careline Photo Speed Cordless Phone
The SN6307 cordless phone by VTech is a quality speakerphone that lets your aging parents keep up with their calls by increasing participation. Your parents do not have to live their room to know who is calling as the phone will announce who is calling through the speakerphones. The phone has a photo dial that lets you tell the person who is calling by their photo. It allows you to add photos to four numbers that you frequently call for a more convenient speed dialling. With this VTech phone, you can record up to 14 minutes of outgoing messages, memos and incoming calls. The phone has greater flexibility as it enables selective delete, save, and skipping or repeating messages as well as instant playback.
- Caller ID announce
- Photo dial
- Ability to digitally record up to 14 minutes
- It lets you easily know who is calling
- A photo dial enables you to remember who is calling
- The headset is compatible with a hearing aid
- It can digitally record up to 14 minutes of incoming messages
- You may have to keep accidentally lowering the volume when picking up the phone.
AT&T EL51203 Cordless Phone
The EL51203 cordless phone is an affordable device that makes conversations more interesting by increasing involvement by enabling both parties to talk and be heard. An easy-to-read LCD display and high contrast black text make it less straining to view an incoming caller ID, number or text. You can use it in areas with low lighting as it has a lighted keypad. It can add up to five handsets for increased communication. Older adults with hearing difficulty will find the phone useful as it is TIA – 1083 compliant, which makes it perfect for those wearing hearing aids.
- RoHs compliant
- TIA – 1083 Compliant
- Voicemail waiting indicator
- Lighted keypad
- 50 name and number phonebook directory
- You can answer with any key
- It supports up to 5 handsets
- It has a wall-mount bracket
- A quit mode lets you enjoy a silent moment
- It is affordable
- It charges slowly
Panasonic KX – TGF352N Cordless Phone
As one of the best Panasonic cordless phones for seniors, the KX-TGF352N has a large 3.4-inch high-contrast LCD that ensures maximum readability. It comes with illuminated buttons and keypad make the phone ideal for settings with different lighting needs. An enhanced sound quality reduces the noise automatically, making the conversations clearer. It enhances voice tones while suppressing the background interference for clear conversations. Also, it is an advance cordless phone with a useful telephone call block that lets you register up to 250 numbers. It is friendly to people with hearing difficulty as it is compatible with a hearing aid T-coil. A built-in baby monitor helps you monitor your child, allowing you to concentrate on your work with peace of mind knowing that you will get an alert when your baby wakes up.
- Built-in baby monitor
- A One-touch call block button
- Battery backup system
- 4-inch LCD
- It helps you monitor your baby
- It has a large display that is easy to view
- It lets you block up to 250 numbers
- It announces the caller ID
- It has a powerful battery backup
- The rechargeable batteries are not included
AT&T TL86103 Cordless Phone
The TL86103 lets you place and receive calls on two different lines. It goes further to enhance your home connection needs with the Bluetooth-enabled technology. It has a large phonebook memory that lets you download up to 6,000 cellular phonebooks to the handset. You can use it to get mobile notifications when your Android device receives an email, text or social media update. Your parents will not have to go the device to know who is calling as it announces the name of the caller. The phone is expandable by up to 12 handsets. You can tell who has called you in the last few days as it keeps up to 50 names and number caller ID history. If you are looking to relax, a quiet mode feature lets you turn off the ringer, ensuring that calls will not wake you up from your sleep.
- Caller ID announce
- Line power mode
- Quiet mode
- Compatible with Skype and Microsoft Lync calls from your PC
- Bluetooth enabled
- Android mobile phone notifications
- It notifies you when your mobile device receives a message
- It enables two lines of communication
- It is Bluetooth enabled for enhanced communication
- It does not have a call block feature.
AT&T CL80107 Accessory Cordless Handset
If you have an AT&T cordless phone and you are looking for an expansion handset, the AT&T CL80107cordless handset is compatible with several cordless phones including CL82207 and CL83407 among others. It has an adjustable handset volume control and caller ID feature that records up to 50 names and numbers. The handset can be used at all times even in the night as it has a backlit keypad and high-contrast LCD. An HD audio with equalizer enables you to customize sound to your liking. It offers long-range, ability to blacklist up to 1000 numbers and caller ID announce permanently.
- Smart call blocker
- Caller ID announce
- Noise filtering
- HD audio with equalizer
- It lets you blacklist unwanted calls
- You can customize audio
- It supports up to 50 caller ID records.
- You will need one of the compatible units to use the handset.
The Essential Factors To Consider When Choosing A Cordless Phone?
- Range: It is beneficial to look for a cordless phone that offers an extended range without affecting the sound quality. Phones with a more extended range let you communicate with friends while in other rooms. However, it is worth noting that the quality of sound can be negatively affected by distance.
- Frequency: Cordless phones use several frequencies that include 43 – 50 MHz, 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, and 5.8 GHz. The latest cordless phones like the ones reviewed in this article use the newest DECT 6.0 technology that is safer.
- Analog vs Digital: Both technologies are common in cordless phones. The analog signals are prone to interference and tend to be noisy. The signals can also be picked and interpreted by radio scanners. Digital technology offers clear sound and better security. It is almost impossible to eavesdrop conversation on a cordless phone that uses digital technology.
- Security: A radio scanner can easily intercept signals broadcasted over an open-air. Phones with the digital technology are better than analog devices, but they are not fully secure. For the best protection against eavesdropping, you should look for DSS technology.
While the purpose of cordless phones is to help the elderly communicate more effectively. However, you will need to ensure that they do not compromise on their privacy. The best cordless phones for seniors improve communication among those with sight and hearing difficulties while ensuring their safety and privacy.