The ever-increasing internet service provider (ISP) charges have made it virtually impossible for some people to get affordable high-speed wireless internet at home. In the United States, people pay between $50 and $60 for their home internet connection.
Therefore, lots of people cannot access Wi-Fi. However, you don’t need to subscribe to an internet plan to access Wi-Fi. You can easily access free Wi-Fi at home with so many options available.
If you’re looking for how to get free Wi-Fi without internet, then you are about to read all about it. This article explores several ways to get free or affordable Wi-Fi at home. Could you keep reading to learn more about it?
The 7 Best Ways to Get Free WiFi At Home Without Internet
1. Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
There are numerous public Wi-Fi hotspots across the U.S., and you should be able to find one where you live. If you live near a business plaza, coffee shop, park, metro station, or bus station, you can tap the available public hotspot and enjoy free Wi-Fi without home internet.
You can hook up with a private Wi-Fi hotspot with prepaid internet access. Paying for that is cheaper than mobile data. If you find a reliable public Wi-Fi hotspot, you have a convenient solution when you don’t have or cannot pay for home internet.
Remember that public Wi-Fi hotspots render your computer and devices visible to other people on the network. You can protect yourself by connecting to the internet via a virtual private network (VPN). If you do not have one, install a VPN on your laptop or mobile phone.
2. Get Free Wi-Fi Using Hotspot Database Apps
You can use several apps to scan for free public Wi-Fi hotspots around you. You can download the apps from Google Play Store or App Store and install them on your phone. Most of these apps have a comprehensive list of public hotspots and their passwords so that you can log in expressly. The following are some of the most popular hotspot database apps:
- Wiman: It has an extensive database covering hotspots from across the world. Through it, you can connect to free Wi-Fi virtually anywhere. It is an effective Wi-Fi connection manager, classifying free hotspots based on their quality, signal strength, and reliability. The app has reward points for users and those who share it with friends.
- WiFimapper: With WiFimapper, you can get free Wi-Fi at home without internet subscription. It is an effective tool for listing all the public Wi-Fi hotspots near you. once you have installed the app, you can scan the area to get a list of all the available internet services. You can then select one of the hotspots and use it to connect to the internet.
- All Free ISP: It is a website with a database of free internet services. Once you open the website, enter the name of your state and the local area code. Then you can click GO, and the website will provide all the free and affordable internet providers near you. It also rates each of the ISPs, allowing you to compare them.
- Avast Wi-Fi Finder: It is a popular cybersecurity provider that has since developed an application to help people quickly find Wi-Fi hotspots in their locality. Therefore, it’s one of the best ways to get free Wi-Fi without internet subscription. It lists hotspots and their passwords to make it easier to log in.
3. Access Free Wi-Fi At Home Via Everyoneon.Org
Through the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the government initiated this program to provide free internet to low-income families and households. If you qualify for the program, you can get free Wi-Fi at home without internet subscription.
With this initiative, the government seeks to provide internet services to the less fortunate families that can hardly afford them. Low-income households can enjoy free or affordable Wi-Fi with the fastest internet speeds. The monthly fees for these programs start at $10.
What are the eligibility criteria to get free Wi-Fi at home through these government-sponsored programs? You can enroll in the FCC-sponsored internet programs by taking the following steps:
- Check that you have at least one household member enrolled in a federal government program. That helps prove that you and the members of your household are needy and require free Wi-Fi from the government.
- Fill out the program application form via the ISP’s website. For example, you can go to the AT&T website to fill out the application form. You won’t have to pay a deposit, installation fee, or commitment fee to enroll in the AT&T program.
4. Get Free Wi-Fi From Municipal Wireless Networks
If you’re lucky to live in regions and states with free municipal Wi-Fi, don’t hesitate to take advantage. Such city networks have free Wi-Fi originating from government businesses or offices. You can use the municipal wireless network to get free Wi-Fi at home without internet subscription. That’s especially true for low-income households.
However, due to the large number of people connecting to the network, internet connection can be slower. Also, some municipalities restrict the time when Wi-Fi is available, which can be inconvenient.
5. Get Free Wi-Fi At Home from a Neighbor
Does one of your neighbors have an internet subscription? Sharing their internet network is one of the best ways of getting Wi-Fi without internet subscription. However, it would help if you had someone friendly enough to risk sharing their Wi-Fi.
Approach your neighbor and ask to connect to their Wi-Fi network. Of course, your neighbor may offer you free Wi-Fi or ask for a small fee. You could even agree to meet the internet costs between you and your neighbor in alternate months. Thus, you can get free Wi-Fi at home for six months a year. Isn’t that great!
You can share the internet from a Windows computer by going to Settings > Network and Internet > Mobile Hotspot. After choosing the connection, you wish to share, turn it on by clicking Share my Internet Connection with other devices.
If you have a macOS computer, you can share the internet by going to Apple > System Preferences > Sharing. Then you can select Internet Sharing followed by Share the Connection From. Choose the internet connection you wish to share and select how you want to share it from a drop-down menu.
6. Connect to the Internet Using a Mobile Hotspot
Did you know that you can access affordable Wi-Fi using the sim from your data services provider? That can either be on your smartphone or a dedicated mobile router. Thus, instead of waiting for free Wi-Fi, you can use your smartphone to create an affordable one.
If you have an Android smartphone, you can connect to create a Wi-Fi hotspot using the following steps:
- Step 1: Go to Settings.
- Step 2: Tap More and Wireless and Network.
- Step 3: Click Tethering and Portable Hotspot.
- Step 3: Click Set Up Wi-Fi Hotspot.
- Step 4: Enter Network SSID and choose a password.
- Step 5: Save and turn on the portable Wi-Fi hotspot.
For those with an iOS smartphone, here are the simple steps for setting up a Wi-Fi hotspot:
- Step 1: In Settings, tap Cellular.
- Step 2: Select Personal Hotspot and turn it on.
- Step 3: Select Wi-Fi password.
Therefore, a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot is extremely easy to set up. However, you might consume too much mobile data that you would wish to. It might not be possible to connect multiple devices to the network with a data cap.
It can be necessary to subscribe to an unlimited data plan or opt for flexible daily, weekly, or monthly data plans. If you have a Windows 10 PC, you can use the metered connection option to keep tabs on your data consumption.
A mobile hotspot can also lead to your phone’s battery draining too quickly that you would want. Therefore, you might have to connect your phone to a power bank or charger throughout the duration you’re using the hotspot.
7. Get Free Wi-Fi At Home from FreedomPop
Do you want to know how to get free Wi-Fi at home without internet subscription? You get a wireless router that creates reliable Wi-Fi around your home. Since the router is portable, you can carry it to any location.
However, you must be prepared to pay the FreedomPop deposit, which it refunds when you return the router. Therefore, your deposit would remain with FreedomPop for the entire duration when you have the router.
FreedomPop also has free Wi-Fi data plans that allow you to use up to 500 MB free of charge. If your usage goes beyond the limit, you may have to pay for it. Therefore, FreedomPop is excellent for individuals who do minimum browsing. If you like streaming videos and downloading bigger files, this isn’t the best option.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know how to get free Wi-Fi at home without internet, why don’t you try out some suggested options? While some options are entirely free, others result in affordable internet plans. Remember that the free options, such as public Wi-Fi, can expose you to the dangers of the internet, including the possibility of getting hacked and losing private data. So always be cautious as you look around for free Wi-Fi.