Consumer Cellular is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) working with T-Mobile and AT&T boosters. It offers no-contract phones to people from age 50. Their phone plans are affordable and designed to cater to the needs of people in that category.
Once you have bought a phone from the network provider, you must activate it to make it operational. This article explains how to activate a new phone on Consumer Cellular to help you get started sooner.
How to Join the Consumer Cellular Network
You can join Consumer Cellular by purchasing a brand-new phone or switching an old phone from another network. You’ll still enjoy affordable phone plans regardless of how you enter the network. Here are the two ways to join the Consumer Cellular network:
1. Purchasing a New Consumer Cellular Phone
If you’re looking for a fresh start on Consumer Cellular, purchasing a brand-new phone is the best way to join the network. All you need is to get one of the Consumer Cellular compatible phones.
A compatible phone works with the GSM technology and is unlocked to work on other networks, including Consumer Cellular. You may purchase the phone online or in-store. If you buy it with a SIM card, the phone should arrive activated and ready to use.
If you buy the phone separately from a SIM card, you’d need to activate it before you can start using it. The alternative is where you wish to port your number from the previous network carrier. That can help you avoid confusing your contacts due to phone numbers.
2. Switching an Old Phone to Consumer Cellular
If you aren’t ready to purchase a new Consumer Cellular phone, you can switch an old one to the network. First, it’s critical to check whether or not your phone is compatible with the Consumer Cellular network.
First, it should be capable of working on using the GSM network technology. Second, it should be unlocked. If not, you must ask your network carrier to unlock the phone before switching it to Consumer Cellular.
How to Activate a New Phone on Consumer Cellular
Consumer Cellular provides its branded phones to customers online or in-store. Apart from the company-branded flip phones, it also offers smartphones. The device prices vary from the most affordable to the most expensive. Customers can choose a device based on their needs and budget.
There are two methods of activating Consumer Cellular phones – online and by phone. However, if you’d requested the network operator to assign you a new number, it will have the phone activated before sending it to you.
Otherwise, you need to activate your phone if you decide to port a number from an old network carrier. The process is fast and convenient, especially when done online. It includes the following simple steps:
- Step 1: Open the Consumer Cellular website and open My Account.
- Step 2: Select Activate Your Equipment.
- Step 3: Enter your name, phone number, address, and date of birth.
- Step 4: You would only need to wait for a few minutes to have your new Consumer Cellular phone activated.
How to Activate a New Phone on Consumer Cellular
You have likely bought a new Consumer Cellular phone with a SIM card. In that case, you must activate the phone online. The following are the steps you can take to complete the phone activation process:
- Step 1: Power off the phone and insert the new SIM card.
- Step 2: After inserting the SIM card, power the phone on.
- Step 3: Open the Consumer Cellular phone activation website page.
- Step 4: Enter the activation code, which appears at the back of the box containing the SIM card.
- Step 5: Click Activate. Your new Consumer Cellular phone should be activated and ready to use within a few minutes.
Instead of going to the Consumer Cellular website, you can activate your phone using the app. The Consumer Cellular app is not only convenient but also easy to use. It’s available on your phone, making it perfect for activating a new phone.
You can activate a new Consumer Cellular phone in-app through the following straightforward procedure:
- Step 1: Power your phone off and insert the new SIM card.
- Step 2: Power the new phone on again and wait for it to boot.
- Step 3: Open and sign in to the Consumer Cellular app.
- Step 4: Enter the SIM card activation code once prompted.
- Step 5: Wait a few minutes for your phone to activate. It should be ready to use in no time.
Consumer Cellular allows you to switch to the network with an old phone from the AT&T or T-Mobile networks.
How to Activate a New Phone on Consumer Cellular and Keep Your Number
Consumer Cellular allows new customers to switch to a network and keep their phone numbers. Therefore, you can access more affordable phone plans on Consumer Cellular while enjoying the sustained use of your old phone number.
The network carrier provides an easy process for switching from your old network carrier to Consumer Cellular. However, the method may vary based on your location. Here are the steps you can take to switch networks to Consumer Cellular and keep your phone number:
- Step 1: Before you start the switching process, ensure that your phone number remains active on the old network. If you cancel the current cellular service, it will be impossible for you to switch to Consumer Cellular and keep your number.
- Step 2: Create a Consumer Cellular account. The process involves entering information from your old phone accounts, such as the account number, billing address, name, and a PIN or password.
- Step 3: Now, you can transfer your number to Consumer Cellular by calling customer support at 1-888-345-5509 or going to the website.
- Step 4: You’ll choose a new Consumer Cellular phone and a service plan on the website.
- Step 5: You should see the question: “Keep Your Existing Phone Number?” Select “Yes” since that’s what you intend to do.
- Step 6: Add to cart and check out. Consumer Cellular commences the number switching process seven days after shipping your device. After transfer, the number gets disconnected from the old service provider and connects through Consumer Cellular.
If you’re on a contractual plan with the old service provider, you might have to pay an early termination fee. Besides, you would have to pay any outstanding bills to be free to switch networks. In case of any questions, don’t hesitate to call Consumer Cellular at 1-888-345-5509.
Consumer Cellular Phone APN Settings
After activating your new phone on Consumer Cellular, you’ll receive APN settings for MMS and the internet. That should happen automatically. However, if it doesn’t, call customer service and request the settings.
You don’t just receive APN settings and let it pass. The following steps can help you to set up your phone.
- Step 1: Go to settings.
- Step 2: Select More, followed by Mobile Networks.
- Step 3: Click Access Point Names and go to Menu.
- Step 4: Click Always Create a New APN.
- Step 5: Enter the APN details into the correct field.
- Step 6: Save and restart the phone.
- Step 7: Open a net browser and test if you have a network connection.
- Step 1: Open Menu and select Settings.
- Step 2: Tap Cellular and switch on Cellular Data.
- Step 3: Go to Cellular Data Network.
- Step 4: Enter the Consumer Cellular APN details in the Cellular Data field.
- Step 5: That should set you up for a fast internet experience on Consumer Cellular.
The Bottom Line
This article has discussed how to activate a new phone on Consumer Cellular in great detail. Therefore, you should have no problem activating your new phone on the network.
Suppose you intend to keep your old phone number. In that case, Consumer Cellular makes it extremely easy for you. once you have cleared all pending contractual obligations with your previous network provider, you should easily switch to Consumer Cellular.
People Also Ask
No, activating a new phone on Consumer Cellular is free of charge. So, whether you’re making a cellular upgrade, replacement, or buying a new phone, the network carrier won’t ask you for an activation fee.
Consumer Cellular doesn’t charge its clients to ship new phones. It prides itself in providing customers with affordable and convenient phone services. That’s why it sends phones to customers for free.
You can switch to Consumer Cellular and retain your number as soon as you have paid all charges and fees due to the previous contract. Switching to Consumer Cellular before contract expiry may expose you to early termination fees. So, it’s prudent to wait until the end of the monthly billing cycle. Otherwise, you may end up servicing two phone plans simultaneously.