Do you know how to unlock a Consumer Cellular phone after buying it from their official website? This article will expound on the various methods you can use if you don’t. Some of these methods are free, while others might cost you a few bucks.
If you bought your phone from a third-party retailer such as Amazon, Walmart, or eBay, most likely, it would come unlocked. However, purchasing a phone from the Consumer Cellular online store will come locked to their service.
How does Consumer Cellular lock their phones? They do this by inputting a specific software code that prevents users from accessing any network besides their own. Keep on reading to learn more about unlocking your Consumer Cellular phones and the benefits of doing it.
- Why Does Consumer Cellular Lock Their Phone
- Why Should You Unlock Your Consumer Cellular Phone
- How To Check If Your Consumer Cellular Phone Is Unlocked
- What You Need Before Unlocking Your Consumer Cellular Phone
- Ways To Retrieve Your IMEI number
- Checking Blacklist Status of Your Phone
- Unlocking Consumer Cellular Phone For Free
- Unlocking Consumer Cellular Phones At A Fee
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does Consumer Cellular Lock Their Phone
Consumer Cellular locks its phones so it can recoup some of the finances spent on offering affordable phone deals to its customers. These phones are usually locked for a minimum of 180 days. You will be limited to their plans and services during this period.
You cannot access the free unlock services of Consumer Cellular until the 180-day period elapses. Additionally, your phone must be unlock-compatible, and you must meet all their prerequisite criteria
Why Should You Unlock Your Consumer Cellular Phone
There are many reasons why you should consider unlocking your Consumer Cellular phone. Some of them include:
Switch Carriers Easily
As already stated, locked phone limits you to only one wireless service provider. This means you cannot switch to a different provider if you want cheaper deals and better offers. But, if your phone is unlocked, you will be free to move to the service provider you feel is offering the best deal.
You will only need to purchase a Simcard from them and buy one of their plans. Unlocking your phone also helps you to avoid costly termination fees that customers incur when switching from one service provider to the next.
Your Phone Will Sell For More
An Unlocked Consumer Cellular phone usually fetches more cash than a locked one. This is due to the benefits that come with owning an unlocked phone. It is also easier to find a potential buyer for an unlocked phone since they know it can be used with any other network.
Save On The Cost Of Roaming Charges
Consumer Cellular charges a significant amount of cash for their roaming plans. This makes it very expensive to use their service when you’re travelling out of the country. However, with an unlocked phone, you can purchase a Simcard locally in the country you have travelled to and use their network services at better rates.
Enjoy The Dual-Sim Feature
One of the major reasons you should consider unlocking your Consumer Cellular phone is that you will enjoy the Dual-Sim feature more. Dual-Sim phones come with two Simcard slots for you to use simultaneously.
You can only use two Consumer Cellular Simcards with a locked phone. However, an unlocked phone allows you to use Simcards from two different service providers concurrently. This enables you to compare phone plans from the different providers and purchase the less expensive ones.
How To Check If Your Consumer Cellular Phone Is Unlocked
There are a few ways to determine if your phone is unlocked before deciding on the next step. They include:
1) Calling Consumer Cellular
The easiest way to know if your phone is locked is by contacting Consumer Cellular at (888) 345-5509 and inquiring about it. They will request you to provide information related to your device’s account. After verifying that info, they will give you an answer.
2) Using A Simcard
Another simple method you can use involves taking the Consumer Cellular Simcard out of the phone and replacing it with a Simcard from a different service provider. Try to make a call with the different Simcard in the phone; if it goes through, your phone is unlocked. If it doesn’t call or have a network connection, it is still locked to Consumer Cellular.
3) By Going To The Settings
This method isn’t 100% accurate, so you should use it as a last resort. The process slightly differs for android devices and iPhones.
- For Android Devices: Open the settings app > tap “Mobile Networks” > go to “Network Operators”. A list of other networks indicates that your phone is not locked.
- For iPhones: Open settings > select “Cellular” > tap “Cellular Data”. Your phone is not locked if it gives you “Cellular Data Options”. If this option is missing from the menu, then your iPhone is still locked.
4. Using Online Services
Many reliable third-party websites can help you to check the unlock status of your Consumer Cellular phone. These sites charge a small fee for their service but deliver accurate results. The process typically involves inputting your IMEI number into an online checker, revealing your unlock status.
What You Need Before Unlocking Your Consumer Cellular Phone
It is always advisable to unlock your phone once your contract is over cause you never know what plans you might have for it in the future. Whether you want to sell or use it with a different service provider, unlocking it remains the best option.
There are different procedures you can undertake to unlock a Consumer Cellular phone, with all of them varying in terms of difficulty. However, there is a list of information that you will need to have before you learn how to unlock Consumer Cellular phone:
- The name of the person who registered the phone with Consumer Cellular
- The IMEI number of the Consumer Cellular device to be unlocked. This is also one of the essential details that you should have.
- Account number of the registered device
- Phone number of the account holder
- The password or security details of the person who registered the Consumer Cellular account
- If you are in the military, you will need to prove it by providing the relevant documents, e.g. deployment letters.
- Documents showing that you have completed paying for the device.
Ways To Retrieve Your IMEI number
Almost all methods of unlocking phones require you to have your device’s IMEI number. These methods differ with the type of phone. Only one method is universal to all devices.
1) Using A USSD Code
This method can be used to get the IMEI number for any phone: Android, Windows or iPhone. Just dial *#06# on your phone, and the IMEI number will be displayed on the screen.
2) Retrieving IMEI Numbers For Android Devices
If you have an Android device, you can get the IMEI number by:
- Launch the Settings app
- Select the “About Phone” option
- You will find your IMEI number written near the bottom of the page
3) Retrieving IMEI Numbers For iPhones
For iPhone users, the IMEI number can be retrieved by:
- Open the “Settings” for your device
- Select “General”
- Pick the “About” option
- Locate your device’s IMEI number
Checking Blacklist Status of Your Phone
Once you retrieve your Device’s IMEI number, you should proceed to confirm its blacklist status. This step is crucial for people who have purchased a Consumer Cellular phone from a third party. Why is it important? Blacklisted phones cannot be unlocked no matter how hard you try unless you or the seller contacts Consumer Cellular and they remove it from the blacklist.
You can use the Comprehensive IMEI Checker to know the blacklist status of your Consumer Cellular phone. Additionally, this checker will give you vital information like:
- In which country did your device get registered
- The warranty status of your phone
- When your phone was purchased and the replacement status
- The carrier your device is locked to or if it is unlocked
Unlocking Consumer Cellular Phone For Free
It is possible to unlock Consumer Cellular phone without incurring any cost. This is by contacting their customer support so that they walk you through the procedure. However, there are a few prerequisites that you have to meet before you can be eligible for phone unlocking:
- The device you want to unlock was bought from Consumer Cellular
- The company has not blacklisted your device
- You have settled all the arrears associated with your Consumer Cellular account
- You have finished paying fully for the device you want to unlock
- The phone has been active on the Consumer Cellular network for the minimum duration required
If you meet all guidelines, gather the information mentioned before and call (888) 345-5509. Consumer Cellular customer service representatives will give you the instructions to follow to unlock your phone. This will involve inputting an unlock code that Customer Cellular will send you for free. The unlocking procedure may take more than a week, so you must be patient.
Unlocking Consumer Cellular Phones At A Fee
You can unlock your phone using third-party companies that you can find online. All of them will charge you a small fee for their service. These companies will require you to give them your phone’s IMEI number so that they send you a code that can unlock it.
NOTE: Not every third-party unlocking service operates under the legal confines of the law. It is solely your responsibility to find out who can unlock your phone for you legally. Additionally, you should be on the lookout for fraudulent sites that only want to siphon your data or money.
DirectUnlocks is one of the most trusted phone unlocking companies that you can find online. Their services are fast and legal. They are unique because they directly access the phone manufacturers’ databases. This enables them to tell your phone type with the IMEI number alone. To unlock your phone using DirectUnlocks, follow the process below:
- Step 1: Give out your phone details. This is its serial number/ IMEI number which you can retrieve using any of the methods mentioned in this article.
- Step 2: Make a payment to Direct Unlocks, after which they will start working on your unlock. You can view the progress on their tracking page.
- Step 3: The phone is permanently unlocked. After approximately 6 hours to a day, you will receive an email or SMS informing you that your phone has been unlocked.
This unlocking method is purposefully made for iPhones. It is completely legal and permanent. Moreover, they can check your IMEI without charging you anything. AppleiPhoneUnlock takes about a whole day to unlock your phone. Here is their unlocking process:
- Step 1: On the AppleiPhoneUnlock site, pick your phone model and current network provider. You will then be prompted to input your IMEI number.
- Step 2: Pay for the unlocking service, and your order will start to be processed immediately. The payment platform is very secure, so you shouldn’t worry.
- Step 3: Your Consumer Cellular iPhone is unlocked. You will be notified through email.
Using UB SIM
You can also unlock your Consumer Cellular device by altering the hardware. This method only unlocks the phone temporarily.
- UB Sim provides a chip which you insert into your Sim tray
- After 10-30 seconds, a UB SIM menu appears
- You will need to select the “ICCID Mode” and input the ICCID code provided
- Tap “Accept” and finish the activation procedure
- The unlocking procedure is complete
You can learn more about the UB SIM phone unlocking procedure. If none of the unlocking methods above work for you, then you should try out Consumer Cellular compatible phones instead.
Hopefully, this article has enabled you to know how to unlock Consumer Cellular phone. If you don’t want to spend money, you should consider calling Consumer Cellular’s customer support team to assist you. However, you have to meet all the guidelines that they have set. Alternatively, you can opt for paid options. After that, you’ll be ready to enjoy the services of compatible network providers.
- How to Unlock a Verizon Phone
- How To Unlock a Cricket Phone
- How To Unlock a TMobile Phone Without an Account