Do you plan on switching from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile soon? Are you wondering if the process will cost you? Don’t worry; this article will guide you through the whole procedure.
In the past, switching from one service provider to another was difficult because most phones were locked to one service provider. Customers also had to enter into a long-term contract with the carriers and couldn’t switch until the duration of the contract came to an end.
With the emergence of no-contract and unlocked phones, consumers have more flexibility on which service provider to settle for and when to switch.
Many Wireless Service providers today come up with new data plans and phone deals to entice consumers to switch to their service. If you want to know how to switch from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile for its cheaper services, we will guide you through the procedures. Keep reading.
- 1. Subscribe To Comcast Internet Service
- 2. Check If Your Device is Compatible
- 3. Check if Your Device Is Locked
- 4. Choose The Right Time In Your Billing Cycle
- 5. Confirm If You Have An Early Termination Fee
- 6. Get An Xfinity Mobile Simcard By Ordering From Their Website
- 7. Pick An Xfinity Mobile Plan
- 8. Activation Of The Xfinity Mobile SIM card
How to Switch from Verizon To Xfinity Mobile
Switching from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile is a straightforward procedure if you follow all the guidelines that are outlined below:
1. Subscribe To Comcast Internet Service
Before enjoying any of Xfinity Mobile’s services, you need to subscribe to its parent company, Comcast. Comcast deals with the provision of telephone, cable television, and internet services to consumers all over America.
Xfinity Mobile was launched in 2010 as its subsidiary specializing in providing phone and internet services. However, Xfinity Mobile, a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, depends on Verizon or Comcast hotspots to supply the network.
2. Check If Your Device is Compatible
The next important thing you should do is check your device’s compatibility with the Xfinity Mobile network. This applies to anyone who wants to bring their own phone. You can use the device compatibility checking tool on their official website.
These are the procedures you will go through:
- You will be prompted to choose the device you’re currently using and want to bring to Xfinity Mobile.
- After that, you will be required to pick the service provider you’re using currently (in this case, Verizon).
- Finally, you will need to input your device identification number/ the phone’s IMEI number.
Your phone’s compatibility with the Xfinity Mobile network will be checked and determined. If it is compatible, proceed to the next step.
3. Check if Your Device Is Locked
Once you have determined that your Verizon phone is compatible with the Xfinity Mobile network, the next step is to ensure it is not locked. What does a locked phone mean? And how can you check if your device is locked?
A phone is said to be locked once a service provider restricts you from using their Simcard alone. If you try putting a Simcard from another number, the phone won’t work. There are a couple of ways you can check if your Verizon gadget is locked:
- Insert an Xfinity Mobile Simcard into the Verizon phone and try to make a call or send a text. If it doesn’t work, your phone is locked. If it does, it is unlocked.
- Obtain your phone’s IMEI number by opening the ‘settings’ tab, going to the ‘About device’ section, clicking on ‘status,’ and noting down the IMEI number. Use an online IMEI checker to give you all the important information about your phone, including whether it is locked or not.
- Contact Verizon Mobile and inquire if your phone is still locked. This is probably, the easiest way for people who don’t want to do it themselves.
If you don’t know how to unlock a network locked phone before making the switch to Xfinity Mobile, you can contact Verizon’s customer service representatives and they will assist you.
4. Choose The Right Time In Your Billing Cycle
It is important to figure out the appropriate time for switching from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile. This is normally during the last week of your current Verizon billing cycle. Determining the right time to switch in your billing cycle will prevent you from incurring avoidable costs and make the transition smoother.
5. Confirm If You Have An Early Termination Fee
If you have a Verizon contract phone, you may have to pay an early termination fee to Verizon if you want to switch to Xfinity Mobile before your contract ends. This fee varies depending on the time left before your contract expires—the nearer the expiration date, the lesser the fees, and vice versa.
6. Get An Xfinity Mobile Simcard By Ordering From Their Website
You will need to get a Simcard from Xfinity Mobile if you’ve already determined that the gadget you’re bringing from Verizon is compatible. Once your order is received, your new Xfinity Simcard will be sent to you by Mail.
7. Pick An Xfinity Mobile Plan
The next step is to pick a phone plan. Xfinity Mobile provides many affordable phone plans, so you can choose one that suits you best. Fortunately, Xfinity Mobile will not charge you to access or activate your line.
8. Activation Of The Xfinity Mobile SIM card
To activate your Xfinity Mobile Simcard, you can follow the process below:
- Swap your Verizon Simcard with the one you ordered from Xfinity Mobile
- Create an Xfinity Mobile account and sign in
- Pick the device that is being activated
- Choose if you want to retain your current phone number or get a new one. If you’d like to retain your current number, you should avail important information like your Verizon account password and number.
- Tap the ‘activate’ button
- After about 10 minutes, your phone will be activated. You will be notified through email that the process was successful. If you applied for one, Xfinity Mobile will also send you a new number.
Once you have activated your Simcard, switching from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile is complete, and you can start enjoying their services.
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Xfinity Mobile
Below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of joining Xfinity Mobile from Verizon:
- They have Affordable phone plans
- Their customer service is superb
- The data speeds are phenomenal
- Freedom of switching data plans
- Canceling your internet service will cost you
- Some Android devices are not compatible with the BYOD(bring your own device) program
Frequently Asked Questions
Switching from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile is not a complicated process. If you follow the procedure outlined in this article, you will make the shift in no time. Ensure you are signed up for Comcast internet service and that your phone is unlocked first!