Have you bought a Cricket phone recently only to find out it is locked? Or are you trying to switch to a different carrier, but your Cricket phone is locked? Don’t worry; you’ve come to the right place. This article will show you how to carrier unlock a Cricket phone.
There are many ways you can carrier unlock a Cricket phone depending on whether you have a Cricket Wireless account or not. You can try methods such as unlocking codes from Cricket Wireless and using the myCricket app if you have a Cricket account. If you don’t have one, you can opt for third-party unlocking services such as DirectUnlocks.
Keep reading to know more about these unlocking methods and what will be required before you can carrier unlock a Cricket phone.
- How To Know If Your Cricket Phone Is Locked
- Requirements For Unlocking A Cricket Wireless Phone
- How To Carrier Unlock A Cricket Phone With An Account
- How To Carrier Unlock A Cricket Phone Without An Account
- How to Carrier Unlock a Cricket Phone for Military Personnel
- Benefits Of Unlocking Your Cricket Phone
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Know If Your Cricket Phone Is Locked
Before you know how to carrier unlock a Cricket phone, you have to determine if it is locked in the first place. How can you do that? You can use either one of the methods below:
Method 1: Checking The Settings
The first method involves opening the settings application on your device and checking your mobile data settings. You can do this as follows:
- Go to your phone settings by swiping the notification bar on top of your screen and tapping the settings icon. You can also click the Settings app on your home screen.
- Go to network and internet (this will depend on the type of phone and software version you have, for iPhone users, the settings might differ)
- Go to the mobile network and tap on “Network operators.”
If you are presented with various networks, your device is unlocked. If only one network is displayed after the network search, or if the search option is unavailable, your phone is probably restricted to one carrier only.
This is not the surest way to determine whether your phone is locked. We recommend that you use this next test for confirmation.
Method 2: Using A Simcard From A Different Carrier
The best way to determine if your Cricket phone is unlocked is by using a Simcard from a different carrier, for example, Verizon or T-Mobile. Here is the procedure:
- Switch your phone off
- Remove your Cricket Simcard from the phone
- Insert the SIM card from a different carrier that is compatible with Cricket Wireless, e.g., Verizon or T-Mobile
- Switch your phone on again
- Once the phone is on, try making a call or sending a text
If the call goes through, then your phone is unlocked. However, if it doesn’t go through, the phone is still locked to the Cricket Wireless network.
Finally, you can confirm your Cricket Phone unlock status by contacting a Cricket customer service representative via 1-800-CRICKET (274-2538) or dialing 611 on your phone and asking them.
Requirements For Unlocking A Cricket Wireless Phone
Like most Carriers, Cricket Wireless has set some stringent conditions for you to meet before you can unlock your device. Some of them are:
- You have been using the device on the Cricket Wireless Network for more than 6 months.
- The phone has not been reported stolen or lost.
- Your Cricket account is not linked to any suspicious activities or must be ‘in good standing.’
- The phone is only restricted to the Cricket Wireless network.
How To Carrier Unlock A Cricket Phone With An Account
There are several ways you can unlock a Cricket Wireless phone and use it with another carrier if you have a Cricket Wireless account. Below are some of the most effective ones:
1) By Requesting For An Unlock Code From Cricket Wireless
If you meet all the requirements for unlocking your Cricket phone, you can request an unlock code through the Cricket Wireless website. However, before requesting an unlock code, you must have the following information at hand:
- The phone number registered with the device to be unlocked
- The account name for the device you want to unlock
- Your Cricket account pin/password
Once you have gathered all this info, you can follow the procedure outlined below to unlock your device:
- Step 1: Sign in to your Cricket Wireless account and tap on the ‘Get Code’ option.
- Step 2: Select the particular number that you want to unlock.
- Step 3: Tap on the ‘Request Unlock’ Option.
- Step 4: For Android users who meet the unlock requirements, Cricket Wireless displays the unlock codes on your screen immediately. On the other hand, iPhone users will have to wait one business day for Cricket Wireless to text them the Unlock Codes.
- Step 5: Input the code you have received to unlock your device.
2) By Using myCricket app
Some Cricket phones cannot be unlocked using unlock codes. If yours is one of them, you can use the myCricket app to unlock it as outlined below:
- Step 1: Download the myCricket app if you don’t already have it on your phone and open it.
- Step 2: Sign out of the account before doing anything else.
- Step 3: Click the “unlock device” option on the signing-in screen of the app.
- Step 4: Select the unlock tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 5. The unlock process will be complete. All you need to do is restart your device, and you will be able to use it with other carriers.
For less tech-savvy people, you can contact Cricket Wireless customer support, who will walk you through the process of unlocking your phone.
How To Carrier Unlock A Cricket Phone Without An Account
If you don’t have a Cricket Wireless account, it would be best if you tried unlocking your phone using third-party services. It is important to note that this might cost you a few bucks. On average, it costs about $60 to unlock your phone using a third-party service.
Additionally, carry out extensive research before settling for a third-party service since there are many frauds online. An example of a reputable company that specializes in unlocking Cricket-locked phones is DirectUnlocks.
To remove a carrier lock from your phone using DirectUnlocks, these are the simple steps you should follow:
- Step 1: Go to the DirectUnlocks website.
- Step 2: Select your network and type in your device’s IMEI number. You can retrieve your device’s IMEI number by dialing *#06#.
- Step 3: Complete payment to DirectUnlocks.
- Step 4: Once DirectUnlocks processes your payment, they will begin working on your device remotely.
- Step 5: DirectUnlocks will send you a code through email or text. It may take approximately 6 hours to receive a code for android devices and 24 hours for iPhones. Input the code to unlock your Cricket phone permanently.
Remember, not all network carriers will be compatible with your Cricket phone once you have unlocked it. Only carriers with GSM networks like AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile have the same network as Cricket Wireless.
How to Carrier Unlock a Cricket Phone for Military Personnel
If you are in active military service, you don’t have to meet the 6 months threshold to have your device unlocked, so long as you have met the other requirements. However, you will be required to present relevant documents indicating you are involved in active duty.
Military personnel can send their documents to the Cricket help desk to have their devices unlocked. Remember to include your name, age, gender, and the email where you would like the unlock instructions sent.
You can also contact Cricket customer service via 1-800-CRICKET (274-2538), and a representative will take you through unlocking your phone.
Benefits Of Unlocking Your Cricket Phone
Now that you know how to carrier unlock a Cricket Phone, what are some benefits you can enjoy afterward?
- You will have the freedom to choose a carrier and enjoy different phone plans. While there are several comparing them with deals offered by other carriers is still good. This can only be possible if your phone is unlocked.
- It will be easier to resell your device, and you can fetch a better price.
- Traveling with your phone becomes easier because you are not restricted to one network. You can change Simcards as much as you want to avoid roaming charges.
Hopefully, you know how to carrier unlock a Cricket phone by now. Ensure that you have checked your phone’s unlock status and meet all the conditions required before contacting the Cricket Help desk or seeking professional phone unlock services. A carrier-unlocked Cricket phone will help you enjoy better services, so start the unlocking process today.